JERUSALEM (AP) — The first meeting of U.S. President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace on Thursday was an early test of whether one of his marquee foreign policy initiatives can gain broad support and advance the shaky ceasefire agreement in the Gaza Strip.
Members pledged $7 billion in aid for Gaza — just a fraction of the $70 billion that international bodies say is needed to rebuild the territory after the Israel-Hamas war. The board also announced plans for international troops and police, and for reconstruction. But no timeline was given.
Trump's ballooning ambitions for the board extend from governing and rebuilding Gaza as a futuristic metropolis to challenging the United Nations Security Council's role in solving conflicts. But they could be tempered by the realities of dealing with Gaza, where there has so far been limited progress in achieving the narrower aims of the ceasefire.
Palestinians, including many civilians, are still being killed in near-daily strikes that Israel says are aimed at militants who threaten or attack its forces. Hamas hasn't disarmed, and a Palestinian committee meant to take over from Hamas is stuck in neighboring Egypt.
“If this meeting does not result in fast, tangible improvements on the ground — and particularly on the humanitarian front — its credibility will quickly crumble,” Max Rodenbeck, Israel-Palestine Project Director at the International Crisis Group, a global think tank, said ahead of the meeting.
A new international body
More than two dozen nations have signed on as the board's founding members, including Israel and other regional heavyweights, as well as countries from outside the Middle East whose leaders support Trump or hope to gain his favor.
Germany, Italy, Norway, Switzerland and the United Kingdom are among more than a dozen countries that have not joined the board but took part in Thursday's meeting as observers.
Israelis are suspicious of the involvement of Qatar and Turkey, which have longstanding relations with Hamas. Palestinians object because their representatives weren’t invited to the board, even as it weighs the future of a territory that is home to some 2 million of them.
Trump pushed back against critics who fear he wants the board to replace the U.N., saying: “Someday I won’t be here. The United Nations will be."
“I think it is going to be much stronger, and the Board of Peace is going to almost be looking over the United Nations and making sure it runs properly," he added.
Ambitious plans
Trump — along with son-in-law Jared Kushner and envoy Steve Witkoff — has laid out ambitious plans for rebuilding Gaza with international investment.
In Davos last month, Kushner suggested reconstruction could be complete in a matter of three years, even though U.N. forecasts suggest that clearing rubble and demining alone could take much longer.
Kushner's slides showed a reconstructed Gaza with a coastal tourism strip, industrial zones and data centers. He conceded that rebuilding would begin only in demilitarized areas and that security would be essential to attract investment.
On Thursday, Trump announced $7 billion in pledged aid from Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, the United Arab Emirates, Morocco, Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan and Kuwait. Trump said the U.S. was pledging $10 billion for the board — a sizable amount that would need to be authorized by Congress.
The latest joint estimate by the U.N., European Union and World Bank says reconstruction will cost about $70 billion.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said there will be no reconstruction until Hamas disarms, leaving Palestinians in limbo among the widespread devastation.
Halting progress
Recommended for you
The ceasefire deal has halted major military operations, freed the last hostages held by Hamas and ramped up aid deliveries to Gaza. But a lasting resolution to the two-year war ignited by Hamas' Oct. 7, 2023 attack into Israel remains elusive.
The deal envisions Hamas handing over its weapons and Israeli forces withdrawing from Gaza as international forces deploy. It left some questions unanswered and set no timeline.
Israel and the U.S. say Hamas' disarmament is key to progress on the other fronts. Arab and Muslim members of the Board of Peace have accused Israel of undermining the ceasefire with its daily strikes and want the U.S. to rein in its close ally. They have called on Hamas to disarm but say Israel's withdrawal is just as important.
Israel defines demilitarization as extending from heavy weapons like rocket-propelled grenades all the way down to roughly 60,000 rifles that Netanyahu says would have to be given up.
Hamas has made only vague or conditional commitments to disarm as part of a process leading to the establishment of a Palestinian state. Senior Hamas officials have said their security forces need to retain some weapons in order to maintain law and order during the transition.
Some of the ideas under discussion include Hamas “freezing” its arms by placing them in sealed depots under outside supervision or giving up heavy weapons while keeping some handguns for policing, according to two regional officials involved in the negotiations. One official said disarmament is a complicated process that could take months. The officials requested anonymity to discuss the negotiations.
It’s far from certain that Israel or the United States would agree to such ideas.
A stabilization force
The ceasefire deal also calls for a temporary International Stabilization Force made up of soldiers from Arab and Muslim-majority countries. Its mandate is not spelled out in detail, but would include securing aid deliveries, preventing weapons smuggling and vetting and training a Palestinian police force.
Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers, who is leading the effort, said Thursday the plans call for 12,000 police and 20,000 soldiers for Gaza.
Indonesia, Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania have pledged to send troops for the force, while Egypt and Jordan have committed to train police.
Troops will initially be deployed to Rafah, a heavily damaged and largely depopulated city under full Israeli control, where the U.S. administration hopes to first focus reconstruction efforts.
Postwar governance
Under the ceasefire agreement, Hamas is to hand over power to a transitional committee of politically independent Palestinian administrators. The U.S. has named a 15-member committee and tapped former U.N. envoy Nickolay Mladenov to oversee them as the board's envoy to Gaza.
The committee, led by former Palestinian Authority deputy minister Ali Shaath, has not yet been granted Israeli permission to enter Gaza from Egypt. Israel hasn't commented on the matter.
Mladenov said last week that the committee will not be able to work unless Hamas hands over power and ceasefire violations stop.
“We’re only embarrassing the committee and ultimately making it ineffective," he said at the Munich Security Conference. "All of this needs to move very fast.”
__ Magdy reported from Cairo. Aamer Madhani in West Palm Beach, Fla. contributed reporting.

(0) comments
Welcome to the discussion.
Log In
Keep the discussion civilized. Absolutely NO personal attacks or insults directed toward writers, nor others who make comments.
Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Anyone violating these rules will be issued a warning. After the warning, comment privileges can be revoked.