Stanford considers increasing enrollment
PALO ALTO — Stanford University officials are considering increasing enrollment for the first time in decades. This year, the exclusive university admitted just 10 percent of applicants, the smallest percentage ever.
A 20-member study group of faculty, trustees, alumni and a student has been formed to look at the merits of expanding the student body.
Stanford now has just under 7,000 undergrads. It’s not clear how much the school could grow, but President John L. Hennessy has talked about making the school "slightly” larger.
Stanford would join a number of highly selective schools — such as Princeton, Duke and Rice universities — that are opening their doors a little wider.
Boys with toy guns prompt scare at San Jose Wendy’s
SAN JOSE — Two teenage boys had some explaining to do after their toy guns caused quite a commotion at San Jose fast-food restaurant. Thirteen police cars were dispatched to a Wendy’s Sunday afternoon after somebody called 911. A police spokesman says two boys inside the restaurant carrying toy semi-automatic guns were briefly handcuffed and detained, but not arrested.
Police say there was no attempt to rob the restaurant.
San Francisco mayor wants to tax stores that sell sodas
SAN FRANCISCO — Mayor Gavin Newsom wants large grocery stores to help fight obesity by paying fees on sodas and other beverages they sell in San Francisco.
Newsom has asked his staff to prepare a law that would charge retail chains for stocking Coke, Pepsi and other drinks sweetened with high fructose corn syrup.
Mayoral spokesman Nathan Ballard says the size of the fee and how it would be assessed still have to be worked out.
Recommended for you
He says there’s a direct link between sweet beverages and obesity, which puts added pressure on San Francisco’s health care system. If the bill is approved by the Board of Supervisors, money generated from the fee would go toward a city program that emphasizes exercise, diet and other preventative health measures.
Richmond police increase patrols after two murders
RICHMOND — Richmond police are increasing the number of officers on the street in the city’s Iron Triangle neighborhood after two fatal shootings Saturday night.
Police say 22-year-old Aurelio Acosta was pronounced dead at the scene after police responded to a report of a street brawl between neighbors.
Officers detained Acosta’s brother-in-law, 29-year-old Uriel Mendoza-Alvarez, after the shooting.
A police detective says Mendoza-Alvarez may have accidentally shot Acosta while aiming for someone else.
Less than four yours later, 52-year-old Estaban Gonzales was found shot to death in front of his home.
Police say Gonzales may have been killed while arguing with another person.
With the two murders Saturday night, there have been 42 murders in Richmond so far this year.
———
Information from: Contra Costa Times

(0) comments
Welcome to the discussion.
Log In
Keep the discussion civilized. Absolutely NO personal attacks or insults directed toward writers, nor others who make comments.
Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Anyone violating these rules will be issued a warning. After the warning, comment privileges can be revoked.