Eric Dane, 'Grey's Anatomy' star and ALS awareness advocate, dies at 53
Eric Dane, the actor known for “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Euphoria,” has died at 53 due to ALS. His representatives say he died on Thursday afternoon. His family says he spent his final days with loved ones. Dane rose to fame as Dr. Mark Sloan on “Grey’s Anatomy” and later played Cal Jacobs on “Euphoria.” He also starred on “The Last Ship,” where production paused as he battled depression. In April 2025, Dane shared his diagnosis of ALS, which is also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. He later spoke publicly to push ALS awareness and research. He leaves two daughters with wife Rebecca Gayheart, who he married in 2004.
Alyssa Milano, Selma Blair, Ashton Kutcher and more remember Eric Dane, dead at 53
Celebrities are mourning actor Eric Dane, many posting photos or video clips along with tributes on social media. The star known for “Grey's Anatomy” and “Euphoria” died Thursday at 53, less than a year after announcing his ALS diagnosis. Actor Alyssa Milano, Dane's “Charmed” co-star, cited “the spark in Eric's eye” and his “razor-sharp sense of humor.” Kim Raver, who appeared with Dane on “Grey's Anatomy,” called him “a light.” Selma Blair posted a video clip of a scene they shared on “Zoe, Duncan, Jack and Jane.” Also weighing in were Ashton Kutcher, Nina Dobrev, Kevin McKidd, and others.
What is ALS, the disease that killed actor Eric Dane?
The fatal nervous system disease known as ALS, or Lou Gehrig’s disease, killed actor Eric Dane less than a year after he announced his diagnosis. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, ALS is rare. In 2022, there were nearly 33,000 estimated cases. Researchers project that cases will rise to more than 36,000 by 2030. ALS is slightly more common in men than in women and tends to strike in midlife, between the ages of 40 and 60. Dane, known for his roles on “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Euphoria,” died this week at age 53.
Police search former Prince Andrew's home a day after his arrest
LONDON (AP) — Police have searched the former home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, a day after the former prince was held in custody on suspicion of misconduct in public office. His arrest is linked to his friendship with the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, and marked one of the most tumultuous days in the modern history of Britain’s royal family. The former Prince Andrew is back at his new home on the Sandringham estate, King Charles III’s private retreat. Police have concluded their search there but are still searching Royal Lodge, his 30-room former home in the grounds of Windsor Castle, just west of the capital.
Music Review: Hilary Duff is a pop star reincarnate on 'Luck... or Something'
More than 10 years since her last record, Hilary Duff is back with “Luck... or Something." The 11 pop songs track years that have passed since Duff's teenage stardom. That brings existential questions, haunting what-ifs, some self-deprecating reflection and a healthy dose of cringe and nostalgia, writes The Associated Press’ Elise Ryan. Known for playing Lizzie McGuire on the Disney Channel, Duff seems aware that nostalgia is key here. The tracks are accessible and catchy, the lyrics reliant on simple vocabulary that makes them feel like gossip or worries shared among friends.
Recommended for you
Oscars will bring back last year's acting winners — Saldaña, Culkin, Madison and Brody — to present
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The film academy says last year’s acting winners return as presenters at the next Oscars. On Thursday, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Adrien Brody, Mikey Madison, Kieran Culkin and Zoe Saldaña will hand out trophies. The ceremony takes place on March 15 with Conan O’Brien as host. Saldaña, Madison and Culkin became first-time winners last year. Brody earned his second best actor Oscar. This year, “Sinners” leads nominations with a record 16. Michael B. Jordan, Wunmi Mosaku and Delroy Lindo are the “Sinners” cast members up for acting trophies.
'Love Story' is revealing just how much Carolyn Bessette Kennedy's style has endured
Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy is back in the spotlight as a style influencer nearly three decades after her death. The TV series “Love Story” chronicles her relationship with John F. Kennedy Jr. before the two died in a plane crash in 1999. Many fans are watching for the clothes. Admirers say Bessette Kennedy's enduring appeal lies in her understated elegance, which contrasts with today's conspicuous branding. Fashion experts describe her style as “educated tailoring.” It's a simple style with deceptively exact tailoring. It features iconic pieces like slip dresses, loafers and headbands. Bessette Kennedy's fashion influence is sometimes compared to Princess Diana and Ralph Lauren, embodying a clean, classic aesthetic.
Shia LaBeouf used homophobic slurs while assaulting New Orleans bar patrons, police say
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Actor Shia LaBeouf has been charged with battery and is accused of repeatedly using homophobic slurs while hitting multiple people at a New Orleans bar during Mardi Gras. That's according to a police report obtained Thursday by The Associated Press via a public records request. A local entertainer who police identified in the report says LaBeouf physically attacked him early Tuesday morning and called him homophobic slurs. Jeffrey Damnit says he believes he was targeted because he was wearing lipstick and eye makeup. LaBeouf was released without bond Tuesday by a New Orleans district judge. He has been charged with two counts of simple battery.
Award-winning singer José van Dam dies at age 85
José van Dam, the celebrated Belgian bass-baritone opera singer who created the title role in Messiaen’s “Saint François d’Assise,” has died at 85. Natsumi Krischer of the Queen Elisabeth Music Chapel says Thursday that van Dam died Tuesday in Croatia. Van Dam had trained young singers there and started its voice section in 2004. He rose fast after his 1960 opera debut in Belgium and sang at major houses across the world. Critics praised his elegant style and long, demanding roles. He earned three Grammy Awards and appeared in films.
FCC chairman says the agency is investigating ABC's 'The View' over equal time rule
The Federal Communications Commission is investigating ABC’s “The View” over possible violations of the requirement that broadcast stations give equal time to political candidates when they appear on-air. That's according to FCC Chairman Brendan Carr. At issue is a Feb. 2 appearance by James Talarico, a Democratic candidate for the Senate in Texas. There are exceptions to the equal time rule, including for newscasts, “bona fide” interview programs, and coverage of live events or documentaries. Carr has raised questions about the talk show exemption and whether it should stand. Stephen Colbert said CBS executives pulled an appearance by Talarico on Colbert's program this week over fears it ran afoul of equal time provisions.

(0) comments
Welcome to the discussion.
Log In
Keep the discussion civilized. Absolutely NO personal attacks or insults directed toward writers, nor others who make comments.
Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Anyone violating these rules will be issued a warning. After the warning, comment privileges can be revoked.