At approximately 12:30 p.m. at the height of a nearly record-breaking day of hot weather, a one-alarm gas leak was reported on 1727 S. Amphlett. Construction crews at the office complex were drilling for a new water system and accidentally struck the gas lines, causing a minor leak and substantial odors, according to San Mateo Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief John Warren.

Firefighters were dispatched to the scene to evacuate some 50 to 60 workers at the site.

PG &E was also dispatched to locate the source of the leak and to turn off the natural gas in the facility.

According to Warren, the two-building site was secured within 30 minutes and the majority of workers returned to work without incident.

No one reported needing any medical attention.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Thank you for visiting the Daily Journal.

Please purchase an Enhanced Subscription to continue reading. To continue, please log in, or sign up for a new account.

We offer one free story view per month. If you register for an account, you will get two additional story views. After those three total views, we ask that you support us with a subscription.

A subscription to our digital content is so much more than just access to our valuable content. It means you’re helping to support a local community institution that has, from its very start, supported the betterment of our society. Thank you very much!