Cloudy and windy at times with periods of rain. High 51F. Winds WSW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall near an inch. Locally heavy rainfall possible..
Tonight
Rain early...then remaining cloudy with showers overnight. Low 43F. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall around a quarter of an inch.
Over six months into an extensive initiative to clean up San Bruno’s illegal dumping problem, the city is seeing a reduction in call volume at trash hot spots and taking a systemic approach to changing behavior.
San Bruno officials have attempted to tackle its littering crisis in the past, often acting reactively by sporadically increasing cleanup. Now, however, the city is taking a different approach, investing $1.45 million this fiscal year into hot spot management, code updates to bolster enforcement and public education.
“When a problem is predictable, it's no longer just a nuisance. It’s a recurring pattern that requires a different approach,” Public Works Director Matt Lee said during the City Council meeting Feb. 10. “Our mission is intentionally broader than just picking up garbage, because lasting improvement depends on changing conditions and behaviors, not just removing debris.”
The city has identified 11 dumping hot spots, many of which have seen reductions in call volume since the program was introduced, including problem areas east of Interstate 280. San Bruno receives approximately 750 service requests for illegal dumping each year, Lee said.
Trailer cameras have been installed at locations throughout San Bruno for surveillance and deterrence, and both Recology and the city have increased employees cleaning up debris and patrolling problem areas.
“What you’re seeing is not a coincidence. The intensity and clustering of calls are changing,” Lee said. “Demands on the corridors are beginning to ease.”
The effort, dubbed Clean Up San Bruno, was a part of the City Council’s top priorities for the 2025-26 fiscal year. Councilmember Michael Salazar applauded how well that idea had come to fruition through the work of staff.
“Thank you to staff,” he said. “I think this effort is incredibly impressive. Seeing how this all came together and seeing everybody's participation is really heartwarming.”
In addition, the city has successfully negotiated with Caltrans to obtain the right of entry on their property where illegal dumping is prominent. Previously, the transit agency was only cleaning up debris in those areas once a month, if that. Those negotiations were quite challenging, Mayor Rico Medina said, lauding the staff who worked on them.
Recommended for you
“Dealing with Caltrans is like another government entity in itself, and it has its own bureaucracy,” he said.
Landscapers have also been hired to clean up the medians, and negotiations continue with Caltrans regarding El Camino Real, staff said.
Another aspect of the city’s long-term plan to get a handle on illegal dumping is updating and fortifying municipal enforcement code, interim Code Enforcement Supervisor Scott Rogge said. His hiring for the new position is another element of the Clean Up San Bruno plan.
“Too often, there’s no simple catch-all code available — mainly because there is no simple catch-all,” Rogge said.
Public outreach and engagement is the final core tenet of the initiative. The city has restarted its Beautification Task Force, which is leading in organizing and promoting Operation Clean Sweep, a May 2 citywide volunteer cleanup effort.
“I think that does bring more awareness, and I think our community will welcome an opportunity to help clean across San Bruno,” Councilmember Marty Medina said.
A consulting firm has also been hired to develop a Clean Up San Bruno transparency dashboard, where community members will be able to see the number of reports and responses and track changes over time, and a public survey and social media campaign on illegal dumping will also be going out to residents.
Councilmember Tom Hamilton voiced excitement around the program and encouraged staff to highlight the city’s achievements thus far when conducting outreach operations.
“This is just an amazing, amazing success,” he said. “Our city team should absolutely celebrate. I’m very, very much looking to see that celebration as part of the outreach.”
Keep the discussion civilized. Absolutely NO
personal attacks or insults directed toward writers, nor others who
make comments. Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't threaten. Threats of harming another
person will not be tolerated. Be truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone
or anything. Be proactive. Use the 'Report' link on
each comment to let us know of abusive posts. PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK. Anyone violating these rules will be issued a
warning. After the warning, comment privileges can be
revoked.
Please purchase a Premium Subscription to continue reading.
To continue, please log in, or sign up for a new account.
We offer one free story view per month. If you register for an account, you will get two additional story views. After those three total views, we ask that you support us with a subscription.
A subscription to our digital content is so much more than just access to our valuable content. It means you’re helping to support a local community institution that has, from its very start, supported the betterment of our society. Thank you very much!
(0) comments
Welcome to the discussion.
Log In
Keep the discussion civilized. Absolutely NO personal attacks or insults directed toward writers, nor others who make comments.
Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Anyone violating these rules will be issued a warning. After the warning, comment privileges can be revoked.