Editor,

It’s time to make fossil fuels a thing of the past. Every second that we rely on dirty energy sources, we threaten the air our children breathe, the water we drink and the planet we all rely on. The good news? We have the solution at our fingertips: Clean, renewable energy. With vast renewable resources available throughout the U.S. and the ability to tap them to power our society, it’s time to embrace a future powered by clean, renewable energy locally, statewide and nationwide.

Conor McKeown

San Jose

Recommended for you

(2) comments

edkahl

Green energy isn't ready for prime time because batteries are too expensive to store it when green energy isn't working at night. The hydrogen/solar cycle holds great promise but the green lobby isn't pushing it because they'd rather have an issue than a solution.

Terence Y

Mr. McKeown - instead of a general plea, please propose some actions. For instance, in 2020, fossil fuels provided approximately 88% of US energy consumption, with renewables accounting for the remaining 12%. How exactly do you plan on replacing this 88% via renewables without raising the cost for everyone? Solar? How much fossil fuel energy is required to manufacture solar panels? How much energy to mine the elements, rare and not so rare, to make panels? Maybe we could convince the National Park Service to install a few geothermal plants in Yellowstone? Maybe in CA, instead of letting so much water flow out to sea, we actually build a few more hydroelectric plants? But no, we’re trying to save non-existent fish. Your solutions?

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Thank you for visiting the Daily Journal.

Please purchase an Enhanced Subscription to continue reading. To continue, please log in, or sign up for a new account.

We offer one free story view per month. If you register for an account, you will get two additional story views. After those three total views, we ask that you support us with a subscription.

A subscription to our digital content is so much more than just access to our valuable content. It means you’re helping to support a local community institution that has, from its very start, supported the betterment of our society. Thank you very much!