Yemen's Houthi rebels say that Israeli strikes on Yemen's capital the previous afternoon killed at least nine people and injured scores in Sanaa. Thursday's strikes came a day after a drone launched by the Houthis wounded 22 people in the southern Israeli city of Eilat, a rare breach of Israel's air defenses. According to the health ministry in the Houthi-controlled northern half of Yemen, which includes Sanaa, four children, two women and three older people were among the dead. The Israeli military said it carried out strikes in Yemen, with dozens of aircraft targeting Houthi military command headquarters, military camps and security and intelligence facilities.
Israel's military says airstrikes against Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen have fully disabled the international airport in the capital, Sanaa. It says several power plants were also struck in the area on Tuesday. Israel launched similar attacks on Monday in retaliation for a Houthi missile strike Sunday on Israel's international airport. The Houthis confirmed the strike on the airport in Sanaa. The Houthi-controlled SABA news agency says three people were killed and 38 others wounded. It cited health officials. The Houthis have targeted Israel throughout the war in Gaza in solidarity with Palestinians there, while also targeting commercial and naval vessels on the Red Sea.
U.S. airstrikes targeting Yemen's capital killed 12 people and wounded 34 others, the Houthi rebels said early Monday. The deaths mark the latest in America's intensified campaign of strikes targeting the rebels. The U.S. military's Central Command declined to answer questions about the strike or discuss civilian casualties from its campaign. The Houthis described the strike as hitting the Farwa neighborhood market in Sanaa's Shuub district. That area has been targeted before by the Americans. Strikes overnight into Monday also hit other areas of the country.
Yemen's Houthi rebels say U.S. airstrikes targeting oil port killed at least 74 people and injured at least 171 others. The overnight strikes on the Ras Isa port sent massive fireballs billowing skyward and left mangled fuel trucks burning. It was the deadliest known American attack yet in President Donald Trump's military campaign against the Houthis, which began March 15. The U.S. military's Central Command declined to comment when asked about civilian casualties. Satellite images of the port provided by Planet Labs PBC and analyzed Friday by The Associated Press showed destroyed tanks and vehicles as oil leaked into the Red Sea.
U.S. President Donald Trump's administration has reversed cuts in emergency food aid to several nations but maintained them in Afghanistan and Yemen, two of the world's poorest countries. It marks the latest round of abrupt cancellations of foreign aid contracts run through the U.S. Agency for International Development and equally sudden reversals. The U.S. initially cut funding for projects in more than a dozen countries. The State Department confirmed Wednesday it reversed the cuts for emergency food programs in Somalia, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq and Ecuador. The status of funding for six other countries is unclear. The ranking Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee says she wants to see funding restored.
U.S. President Donald Trump has explicitly linked the actions of Yemen's Houthi rebels to the group's main benefactor, Iran. He's warning Tehran that it would "suffer the consequences" for further attacks by the group. The comments Monday by Trump on his Truth Social website further escalate his administration's new campaign of airstrikes targeting the rebels, which killed at least 53 people this weekend alone and appear poised to continue. Meanwhile, Iran continues to weigh how to respond to a letter Trump sent them last week trying to jump-start negotiations over Tehran's rapidly advancing nuclear program.
A Greek-flagged oil tanker ablaze for weeks after attacks by Yemen's Houthi rebels has been "successfully towed to a safe area without any oil spill." That's according to a statement from a European Union naval mission on Monday. Operation Aspides issued the statement regarding the oil tanker Sounion. The Houthis first attacked the ship Aug. 21 and later planted explosives aboard the vessel. Salvagers successfully towed the Sounion away from Yemen. The Houthis meanwhile claimed that they shot down another American-made MQ-9 Reaper drone. Video circulating online showed what appeared to be a surface-to-air missile strike and flaming wreckage strewn across the ground.
Yemen's Houthi rebels have launched a boat-borne bomb attack against a commercial ship in the Red Sea, further escalating their campaign despite a U.S.-led campaign trying to protect the vital waterway. In a warning to shippers, the British military's United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations center described the vessel on Wednesday as being hit in its stern by a small white craft southwest of the Houthi-controlled port city of Hodeida. A Houthi military spokesman later claimed the attack. He described the attack as using a "drone boat," drones and ballistic missiles. The use of a boat loaded with explosives raises the specter of 2000's USS Cole attack, a suicide assault by al-Qaida that killed 17 sailors on board.
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — A mysterious air base is being built on a volcanic island off Yemen that sits in one of the world's crucial…
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden is formally lifting the nation's refugee cap to 62,500 this year, weeks after facing bipartisan blowback…
