Editor,

In Isabelle Nunes’ Student News column on Aug. 21-22, the Carlmont High School senior offered excellent suggestions on living harmoniously with local wildlife.

As Isabelle noted, it can be disheartening to read on social media about incidents in which humans needlessly cause wildlife to suffer. Lucky are the summer campers at Twin Pines who had her as their recreation leader. Respectful attitudes toward wildlife instilled at a young age can encourage a lifelong positive approach to issues involving wildlife.

My “go to” guide for living with wildlife is an educational website called creativecrittersolutions.org. The website’s DIY nontoxic, humane methods for solving situations with neighborhood wildlife make it easy to cohabit the spaces that humans and wildlife share.

Kay Bushnell

Palo Alto

(1) comment

Terence Y

Ms. Bushnell – thank you for your letter and the link to the website. Unfortunately, most of these “solutions” entail getting the rodent or pest out of your home but they’ll just make themselves at home in another home. Meanwhile, in the time it takes to “encourage” them to leave your home, they may do expensive wiring or insulation or some other damage to your home. If there isn’t going to be a local or state agency that will deal with relocating wildlife (seems like there’s plenty of local or state agencies that do everything else), I’d prefer people get a recipe book and try a few new recipes to see if any of this wildlife taste like chicken. Who knows, raccoon burgers may become a delicacy.