“Don’t do drugs,” they always said. But why? While growing up, my drug education experience was scattered. Aside from a few days during two-week Teen Talk sessions — which only took place once in middle school and once in high school — substance use and addiction were scarcely discussed. When we did touch on those topics, the message was simply to stay away from drugs.

When a student at my high school unexpectedly died from fentanyl poisoning last year, the alarming rise in drug overdoses was brought to everyone’s attention. Through talking with his family to put together a feature package about the fentanyl crisis, I realized the severity of the problem: young individuals with bright futures are being killed with just one pill.

Terence Y

Thanks for an informative newsletter, Ms. Wu. Congrats to community groups and students for taking a lead. Despite your/our best efforts at education, there will still be overdoses. Perhaps a lesson, or two, in how to safely treat someone who has overdosed… perhaps providing, and showing how to administer, naloxone…

Tafhdyd

Terence,

Please sit down before you read on. I agree with your summation of drug problems mentioned by Ms. Wu in her excellent Student News Column today. As I have mentioned before, when not talking politics you have some useful info. I think this is the third time we have agreed in the past two years. The first was on a rent control issue if I remember right, the second was discussing garlic bread and now this.

Terence Y

Now I don’t know how many people witness overdoses on a regular basis or live in high drug-use areas, but for those that do and are willing to get involved, shouldn’t they be given naloxone to have on hand? Or do we have naysayers that will say having easy access to naloxone would empower drug users to entertain more risk? Do these naysayers prefer potential death of overdosers? In CA, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the preferred approach, since CA is so easily willing to kill the unborn (and the just born?) via abortion. Perhaps a follow up column by Ms. Wu (not for the abortion part, but for the easier access to naloxone)...

And Taffy, my friend, I’m positive we’ve agreed more than three times. If LTE’s weren’t majority politically-related, I’m sure we’d find plenty of common ground. BTW, in regards to garlic bread, the fast and easy way… Costco has (not sure if currently in stock) a garlic spread and seasoning mix - perfect for more than garlic bread… and for upcoming Thanksgiving feasts.