What happened to Ylva Hagner? Saturday, October 14 will mark the fourth anniversary of Ylva's mysterious 1996 disappearance. Forty-two year old Ylva Hagner was last seen around 9:30 p.m. on Monday, October 14, 1996 at her place of employment, IXOS Software, located on 6th Avenue in Belmont. The last person known to see Ylva Hagner was the President of the company, who departed from the office at 9:30 p.m., leaving Ylva alone to finish her shift and lock up.

"Ylva was working Silicon Valley type hours, coming in late, working late," says Mike Speak, a Belmont Police Detective assigned to the case, "so it was not unusual for her to be working that late."

When Ylva Hagner uncharacteristically failed to show up for work the next day, co-workers were concerned. By Wednesday, she was reported missing, and Belmont police began an investigation. Missing person flyers were distributed around the vicinity, and shown on television. On Friday, October 18, in the morning hours, Ylva's 1992 Black Honda Civic CX Sports Wagon was found in San Carlos. Detective Speak could not comment on the condition of the car, or whether or not foul play was indicated.

Hagner was a marketing employee at IXOS Software, which was ironically located at the time, in the same building as the Belmont Police Administration Offices. IXOS, where Ylva worked as a marketing employee, has since moved to another location.

Hagner, was originally from Sweden, unmarried with no known children, and had been renting a house in Palo Alto with two female roommates for several years. She was attending classes at Stanford University. Friends and acquaintances were interviewed, but no arrests were made. Her family lived out of the country.

"This case has not been forgotten," says Detective Speak, "We are still making efforts to find out what happened."

At the time of her disappearance, Ylva Hagner weighed 110 lbs., was 5'6'' tall, with red hair, blue eyes, with a fair complexion. The Belmont Police Department still receives teletypes with descriptions of unidentified bodies that fit Ylva's description, some coming from as far away as Massachusetts, and overseas. "Leads are followed as they come in," says Speak, "This investigation is still going on."

Anyone with information regarding this case may contact the Belmont Police Department.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Thank you for reading the Daily Journal.

Please purchase an Enhanced Subscription to continue reading.Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase an Enhanced Subscription to continue reading.