A two-alarm fire at an apartment complex in San Mateo Thursday afternoon displaced five people and caused an estimated $30,000 in damage, San Mateo Deputy Fire Chief John Healy said Friday.
The blaze was reported at 1:30 p.m. at the Two Clark Drive Apartments and extinguished within about 30 minutes. The fire was contained to a top-floor unit in the three-story building, Healy said. It appears the blaze was caused by unattended food left on the stove.
No one was injured by the flames.
Healy said four adults and a child were displaced, and the blaze caused an estimated $20,000 in damage to the structure and $10,000 in damage to contents.