Friday
November
21
2014
6:56 pm
Weather

  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 
Gov’t closing emergency child immigrant shelters
August 05, 2014, 05:00 AM By Alicia A. Caldwell The

WASHINGTON — The government said Monday it will soon close three emergency shelters it established at U.S. military bases to temporarily house children caught crossing the Mexican border alone. It said fewer children were being caught and other shelters will be adequate.

A shelter in Oklahoma at Fort Sill is expected to close as early as Friday, the Health and Human Services Department said. Shelters in Texas at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland and in California at Naval Base Ventura County-Port Hueneme will wrap up operations in the next two to eight weeks, agency spokesman Kenneth Wolfe said. About 7,700 children had been housed at the three military bases since shelters there opened in May and early June. They stayed an average of 35 days.

Since Oct. 1 more than 57,000 unaccompanied children, mostly from Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala, have been caught crossing the Mexican border illegally.

A 2008 law requires that unaccompanied child immigrants from countries that don’t border the United States be handed over to the Health and Human Services Department within 72 hours of being apprehended. The children are cared for by the government until they can be reunited with a relative or another sponsor in the United States while they await a deportation hearing in immigration court.

The crush of Central American children caught at the border in recent months has strained resources across the government and prompted President Barack Obama to ask Congress to approve an emergency $3.7 billion spending bill to deal with what he described as a humanitarian crisis. Just before leaving town for the August recess, the House approved a pair of bills that would provide the administration with $694 million and end a program that protects some young immigrants from deportation for up to two years.

Obama objected, saying Republican lawmakers of “not even trying to solve the problem.”

The Senate had blocked its version of the border bill, leaving the problem unresolved before Congress left Washington for its five-week summer recess.

Last month, the Homeland Security Department reported that the number of child immigrants crossing the border alone had started to decline, from as many as 2,000 each week in June to about 500 each week in mid-July. Administration officials said at the time that multiple factors likely contributed to the decline.

The number of people caught crossing the border illegally typically declines during the hottest summer months.

Administration officials have said as many 90,000 child immigrants could cross the border by the end of the budget year in September.

The military base shelters could reopen if the number of young border crossers spikes again in the near future, Wolfe said.

————

Associated Press reporter Amy Taxin in Santa Ana, California contributed to this report.

————

Follow Alicia A. Caldwell on Twitter at www.twitter.com/acaldwellap

 

 

Tags: border, children, shelters, caught, crossing, immigrants,


Other stories from today:

Gov’t closing emergency child immigrant shelters
Man found not guilty of killing 6-month-old girl
Obama hosts Africa summit with an eye on legacy
 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
What do you think of President Obama's expansive executive actions on immigration unveiled Thursday?

About time
He had no choice after congressional inaction
He should have waited for new congressional legislation
Don't like it at all
Prospects for broader action are now eliminated

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on immigration
WASHINGTON — House Speaker John Boehner declared Friday that President Barack Obama was "damaging ..
Israeli forces disperse West Bank demonstration
JERUSALEM — The Israeli military said Friday it dispersed some 300 stone-throwing Palestinian demo..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2014 San Mateo Daily Journal
Menlo Park news