Thursday
July
31
2014
11:21 pm
Weather

  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 

Check out our archive of Dining Guides - Yum!

Buses with migrant families rerouted amid protest
July 02, 2014, 05:00 AM By Julie Watson The Associated

SAN DIEGO — Homeland Security buses carrying migrant children and families were rerouted Tuesday to a facility in San Diego after American flag-waving protesters blocked the group from reaching a suburban processing center.

The standoff in Murrieta came after Mayor Alan Long urged residents to complain to elected officials about the plan to transfer the Central American migrants to California to ease overcrowding of facilities along the Texas-Mexico border.

Many of the immigrants were detained while fleeing violence and extortion from gangs in Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras.

After the buses were blocked, federal authorities rerouted the vehicles to a freeway and then to a customs and border facility in San Diego within view of the Mexico border.

The three buses were trailed by a half-dozen news crews during the two-hour trip. People near the San Diego facility were surprised by the caravan.

Juan Silva, 27, a welder in Chula Vista, said he thought officials were transporting drug traffickers. Then he heard the buses were carrying migrant families.

“I don’t think people in that town should be against little kids,” he said about the protesters in Murrieta. “We’re not talking about rapists, we’re talking about human beings. How would they feel if it was their kids?”

After the migrants are processed, Immigration and Customs Enforcement will decide who can be released while awaiting deportation proceedings.

Earlier in the day, a chartered plane landed in San Diego with 136 migrants on board, according to a Department of Homeland Security official who was not authorized to be named when speaking on the issue.

It was the first flight planned for California under the federal government’s effort to ease the crunch in the Rio Grande Valley and deal with the flood of Central American children and families fleeing to the United States.

The government is also planning to fly migrants to Texas cities and another site in California, and has already taken some migrants to Arizona.

More than 52,000 unaccompanied children have been detained after crossing the Texas-Mexico border since October in what President Barack Obama has called a humanitarian crisis. Many of the migrants are under the impression that they will receive leniency from U.S. authorities.

Another flight was expected to take 140 migrants to a facility in El Centro, California, on Wednesday, said Lombardo Amaya, president of the El Centro chapter of the Border Patrol union. The Border Patrol would not confirm that arrival date.

 

 

Tags: migrants, border, diego, after, facility, california,


Other stories from today:

In dry California, water fetching record prices
Militant urges Muslims to build Islamic state
Buses with migrant families rerouted amid protest
 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
What's a good rate for an hour of parking?

A dollar
50 cents
A quarter
Free
Depends on where you are

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
Police: Elderly driver hits five pedestrians in downtown Palo Alto
Six people were injured, one critically, when a car crashed into a café during lunchtime in Palo Al..
State senator pleads not guilty to racketeering
SAN FRANCISCO — A California state senator previously charged with bribery pleaded not guilty Thur..
Appellate court overturns high-speed rail rulings
SACRAMENTO — A state appellate court has handed a big win to California’s high-speed rail projec..
Woman imprisoned for stabbing estranged husband in Redwood City
The 53-year-old woman convicted of stabbing her estranged husband inside their Redwood City construc..
West Africa Ebola outbreak tops 700 deaths
DAKAR, Senegal — The worst recorded Ebola outbreak in history surpassed 700 deaths in West Africa ..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2014 San Mateo Daily Journal
San Mateo County order to show cause