Friday
August
29
2014
5:14 pm
Weather

  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 

Check out our archive of Dining Guides - Yum!

Los Angeles police charge man in severed head case
March 11, 2014, 05:00 AM The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — Los Angeles police said Monday they’ve solved the case of a severed human head and other body parts found two years ago near the Hollywood sign.

Police announced the arrest of Gabriel Campos-Martinez, 38, on suspicion of killing Hervey Coronado Medellin, 66, of Los Angeles. Campos-Martinez was arrested in San Antonio, Texas, on Sunday with the help of local authorities and is being held on $1 million bail pending an extradition hearing.

Prosecutors in Los Angeles charged Campos-Martinez on Monday with one felony count of murder with malice aforethought in the slaying of Medellin, who they said had been Campos-Martinez’s roommate in 2012 for about six months.

It wasn’t clear if Campos-Martinez was represented by an attorney. San Antonio police said they don’t know, Bexar County Sheriff’s officials said they don’t disclose the information and a message with the San Antonio Central Magistrate Office wasn’t returned.

A felony complaint alleges Medellin was killed on or around Dec. 27, 2011. A coroner’s report found that he had died of asphyxiation and ruled it a homicide.

Two women discovered Medellin’s head while walking dogs on a trail in Griffith Park on Jan. 17, 2012. One of the dogs, which was off its leash, had started to play with a plastic bag. When the dog shook the bag, the head fell out.

More than 120 police officers, firefighters and Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies searched 7 acres of the park during a two-day search.

Another cadaver dog helped find more body parts, including hands and feet, near the same area where the head was discovered.

Police have said they believe the victim was killed elsewhere and his remains dumped just inside the park, which attracts hundreds of hikers and dog walkers on most days.

Although rustic, it is just a short distance from film studios and other Hollywood attractions.

If convicted, Campos-Martinez faces 25 years to life in prison.

 

 

Tags: campos, martinez, angeles, police, medellin, antonio,


Other stories from today:

 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
How would you best describe how you feel about the U.S. economy?

Anxious
Confident
Somewhat anxious
Somewhat confident
Meh

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
UN says Syria refugees top 3 million mark
GENEVA — The civil war in Syria has forced 3 million people out of the country, including more tha..
Ebola arrives in Senegal as outbreak accelerates
DAKAR, Senegal — A man infected with Ebola traveled to Senegal, bringing the disease to that count..
Cameron promises tough action to fight militants
LONDON — Prime Minister David Cameron pledged Friday to plug gaps in Britain's armory to combat te..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2014 San Mateo Daily Journal
San Mateo County crime