Friday
May
22
2015
7:46 pm
Weather

  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 
Neymar to miss rest of World Cup
July 05, 2014, 05:00 AM The Associated Press

FORTALEZA, Brazil  — Neymar will miss the rest of the World Cup after fracturing a vertebra during the team’s quarterfinal win over Colombia, the team’s doctor said Friday.

Neymar was kneed in the back by Colombia defender Juan Camilo Zuniga late in the second half of Brazil’s 2-1 win, and was in tears when he was carried off the field on a stretcher.

He was taken to a private clinic for tests and team doctor Rodrigo Lasmar said the star striker had fractured his third vertebra.

“He will not be in condition to play, he will need a few weeks to be fit again,” Lasmar said. “He is very, very sad.”

Lasmar said Neymar will not have to undergo surgery and is not expected to remain hospitalized.

The 22-year-old forward is Brazil’s biggest star and had scored four goals for the team so far in his first World Cup.

Brazil plays Germany in the semifinals on Tuesday in Belo Horizonte.

Neymar was hurt in the 86th minute at the Arena Castelao in Fortaleza, falling to the ground in pain after Zuniga jumped into him from behind, putting his knee into the Brazilian’s lower back. Teammate Marcelo quickly called for medical assistance when he saw Neymar writhing in pain. Neymar stayed face down until team doctors arrived and put him on a stretcher to carry him off.

Brazil teammate Hulk said Neymar needed more protection from the referees after being repeatedly targeted by opponents.

“Every time is like this, players always come after Neymar, the referees need to do more to keep this from happening,” Hulk said.

Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff sent her support to Neymar.

“Along with the rest of Brazil, I’m hoping for the recovery of our greatest player,” she said on her Twitter account, before he was ruled out of the tournament.

———

Follow Tales Azzoni at http://www.twitter.com/tazzoni

 

 

Tags: neymar, brazil, mdash,


Other stories from today:

One goal enough for Germany over France
Offense still MIA for Giants
Neymar to miss rest of World Cup
 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
What are you doing for Memorial Day?

Spending time with friends and family
Working
Going to a Memorial Day event
Chores
No plans

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
California OKs offer of voluntary water cuts by farmers
SACRAMENTO — California regulators on Friday accepted a historic offer by farmers to make a 25 per..
IS militants purge Syrian town of Assad loyalists
BEIRUT — Islamic State group militants hunted down Syrian government troops and loyalists in the n..
Tobacco firms get partial win over claims on smoking effects
WASHINGTON — America's largest tobacco companies must inform consumers that cigarettes were design..
Islamic State loyalists claim Saudi mosque attack
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — A suicide bomber killed at least 19 people Friday in a blast inside a Shiit..
Clinton got now-classified Benghazi info on private email
WASHINGTON — Former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton received information on her private ..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2015 San Mateo Daily Journal
Burlingame news