Friday
April
24
2015
10:15 pm
Weather

  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 
SamTrans CEO Scanlon retiring
August 29, 2014, 05:00 AM By Michelle Durand Daily Journal

Mike Scanlon

After 15 years leading the San Mateo County Transit District, CEO Mike Scanlon is moving on.

Scanlon, 67, informed the SamTrans Board of Directors on Wednesday he is retiring, ending a nearly 50-year public transportation career.

In his written notice of intent to Chair Jeff Gee and the board, Scanlon called his 15 years with the agency “challenging, fulfilling and fundamentally enjoyable.” Stepping down, he wrote, “will be difficult for me.”

Scanlon would not do interviews on the subject of his retirement and future plans, according to SamTrans staff.

In his letter, Scanlon did not indicate a specific departure date although it will be on a date in the “not-too-distant future” mutually agreeable with the board. SamTrans Communications Manager Jayme Ackemann said it will likely be tied to the timeline for recruiting his replacement. The board is currently forming a hiring committee to begin the process.

Scanlon joined the district in 1999 as the general manager/chief executive officer of SamTrans, executive director of the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Authority, which oversees Caltrain, and executive director of the San Mateo County Transportation Authority.

During Scanlon’s tenure, Caltrain’s ridership and farebox revenue nearly tripled, SamTrans added new bus services and the district implemented efficiencies to remain stable during the recession, according to the district’s announcement of his pending retirement.

The board urged Scanlon to stay on board for the next few years, according to Gee.

“We are sad to see him go,” Gee said in a prepared statement calling his retirement is “well and entirely earned.”

With Scanlon at the helm, voters reauthorized the Transportation Authority’s half-cent sales tax and Caltrain is working toward becoming electrified.

State Sen. Jerry Hill, D-San Mateo, who helped choose Scanlon while sitting on the SamTrans and Caltrain boards, said he was instrumental in the creation of Caltrain’s baby bullet express service and turning SamTrans into an important piece of Peninsula transportation.

Caltrain Board Chair Tom Nolan echoed the sentiment.

“Mike understood the intrinsic possibilities of this 150-year-old rail corridor and has led the effort to secure funding for its reinvention and long-term future,” Nolan said in a prepared statement.

But Scanlon’s time at SamTrans was not without its bumps. During the recession, financial straits led to fee hikes, station closures and scrapping the annual holiday train, which later returned. In 2011, in response to some public outcry over collecting a $400,000 compensation package while the three agencies he headed struggled financially, Scanlon offered to give a portion back. Bay Area Rapid Transit threatened to sue SamTrans over its refusal to pay operational costs for the SFO/Millbrae extension since its 2003 opening although an infusion of Measure A funds ended the dispute. SamTrans had protested paying the costs, saying BART’s billing used outdated ridership estimates.

Most recently, the District Attorney’s Office investigated SamTrans’ finances after two former employees claimed the agency purposely altered its books to justify seeking more taxpayer money. This month, District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe closed the case, saying there was no evidence of wrongdoing although the district’s accounting practices fell short of generally used practices. Ackemann said at the time of Wagstaffe’s announcement that improvements had been already implemented.

michelle@smdailyjournal.com

(650) 344-5200 ext. 102

 

 

Tags: samtrans, scanlon, board, district, transportation, caltrain,


Other stories from today:

Puppy killer may get mental treatment, not prison
Reporters’ notebook
About 20 still displaced following Redwood City fire
 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
Are you on the Warriors' bandwagon?

Yes, all the way
Not yet
A little
Have been for a while
No, don't care
Yes, and annoyed by the new fans

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Stocks rise on tech earnings; Nasdaq adds to record
NEW YORK — Stocks advanced slightly Friday as investors cheered the quarterly results of three lar..
Italian authorities: Terror suspects planned Vatican attack
MILAN — Islamic extremists suspected in a bomb attack in a Pakistani market that killed more than ..
Person killed in fire at East Palo Alto abandoned chemical refinery site
A person was killed this morning in a fire at an abandoned chemical refinery site in East Palo Alto,..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2015 San Mateo Daily Journal
San Mateo County order to show cause