9:42 pm
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Opinion / Letters
  Arts / Entertainment
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  DJ Designers
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
Big-rig driver takes plea deal to end attempted murder case
August 09, 2014, 05:00 AM Daily Journal staff report

Alfonso Suarez-Prendes

A Las Vegas big-rig driver accused of trying to strangle a woman he picked up in the East Bay after she refused his advances in San Mateo pleaded no contest Friday to false imprisonment.

Alfonso Suarez-Prendes, 50, accepted the plea deal rather than stand trial for attempted murder. He was immediately sentenced to 16 months in prison, with credit of 253 days which leaves him serving about 120 days left.

Prosecutors settled the case due to “serious evidentiary problems” and “inconsistent statements from the victim,” District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.

Suarez-Prendes was accused of wrapping a towing strap around the neck of an East Bay hitchhiker who was discovered in San Mateo on April 4 tied to his driver’s seat arm after someone heard her scream from the vehicle. The woman told police he asked for sex during their trip and grew angry when she said no.

Suarez-Prendes previously pleaded not guilty to attempted murder, kidnapping and assault with a deadly weapon.

He has been in custody without bail.



Tags: suarez, prendes,

Other stories from today:

Chrome revolver bandit gets 834 years prison
Candidate roster set for November election
Two arrested for theft at private party

Print this Page Print this Page  | 
<< Back
Return To Archives

Daily Journal Quick Poll
What do you think of the Affordable Care Act?

Love it
Like it
Like the idea, implementation could be better
Too soon to tell
Don't like it
Hate it


©2016 San Mateo Daily Journal
San Mateo County garage sales