Tuesday
September
30
2014
9:23 pm
Weather

  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 

Check out our archive of Dining Guides - Yum!

Fundraiser in honor of San Bruno victim this Saturday: Scholarship goes to young students interested in being chefs
August 06, 2014, 05:00 AM By Angela Swartz Daily Journal

William Bullis

After almost four years, Sue Bullis is continuing to turn the grief over the loss of her son William in the 2010 San Bruno explosion and fire into a productive effort with her culinary scholarship.

This year, Bullis is hoping to raise more money than ever during the William J. Bullis Scholarship fundraiser and auction Saturday, Aug. 9. The scholarship is a $15,000 tuition grant awarded yearly to one financially disadvantaged young adult with great potential for a culinary career. The scholarship honors William, a 17-year-old Mills High School senior, who overcame his physical disability to discover his passion for cooking. Bullis was one of eight people killed in the 2010 natural gas explosion and fire. His father Greg, grandmother Lavonne and dog Lucky were lost that day.

“It’s exciting for me to know that I’m keeping Will’s dream alive,” Sue Bullis said. “If anything good can come out of the explosion in 2010, this has come out of it; we’re touching people’s lives because of it.”

The scholarship goes toward the student attending the International Culinary Center in Campbell. The nonprofit Friends of the International Culinary Center also supports needy culinary students in the centers in New York City and Campbell.

“Together we are keeping his dream alive by helping others to attain their culinary dream,” said the nonprofit’s president Andy Birsh in a prepared statement.

Last year, the fundraiser and auction was able to raise more than $12,000 toward the award. This year, there will also be a live auction and the event will be at a larger venue since last year it grew too big to accommodate enough people in Sue Bullis’ home, where it was held last year. So far, more than 60 companies have donated more than 100 items for the auctions.

“It’s just unbelievable the generosity of people,” she said. “For now it’s (the event) annual and then we’ll see how it grows.”

Auction items this year include a safari in South Africa, a fighter pilot training session, an emerald and diamond necklace by Geneve Jewelers on Burlingame Avenue and olive oil tastings. Charles Schwab also donated items and Wells Fargo Bank is giving out a spa package.

Meanwhile, at least two of the past scholarship recipients are coming to the fundraiser, including the first recipient Anthony Ortiz of Hayward. Other winners are Alexandria Corona, Peter Laforge and Justin Gaspar.

“I’m totally psyched by this,” Sue Bullis said. “I’m really feeling we’ve made a difference in their lives.”

To donate goods to the silent auction or for more information, contact Sue Bullis at 455-1454 or bullisclan@att.net. This year’s scholarship winner will be announced by the end of August.

Tickets cost $25 and can be purchased at brownpapertickets.com/event/559100. State Sen. Jerry Hill, D-San Mateo, will speak at the event. Monetary donations to The Friends of the International Culinary Center, earmarked for the scholarship, are tax deductible as permitted by law and may be sent care of Marc Tsuchiya, financial service manager, International Culinary Center, 700 W. Hamilton Ave., Suite 300, Campbell, CA 95008.

The event will be held from 4 p.m.-7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 9 at The Congregational Church of San Mateo, 225 Tilton Ave. in San Mateo.

angela@smdailyjournal.com

(650) 344-5200 ext. 105

 

 

Tags: scholarship, culinary, bullis, event, auction, international,


Other stories from today:

Government Watch
Judge Joseph Scott pleads not guilty to DUI
National Night Out
 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
What do you think of the new statewide plastic bag ban?

It's great, we need to get rid of them
Doesn't matter around here, they are already banned
Don't like it
Hope it starts a nationwide trend
Don't like it, but whatever

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
California becomes first state to ban plastic bags
SACRAMENTO — Gov. Jerry Brown on Tuesday signed legislation imposing the nation's first statewide ..
EBay to split off lucrative PayPal business
NEW YORK — EBay is splitting off its fastest growing segment, payment service PayPal, the e-commer..
Obama, Modi say they will set new US-India agenda
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama and India's new Prime Minister Narendra Modi said Tuesday that..
Hong Kong leader rejects protesters' demands
HONG KONG — Pro-democracy protesters demanded that Hong Kong's top leader meet with them, threaten..
White House front door now locks automatically
WASHINGTON — Secret Service Director Julia Pierson says the front door to the White House now lock..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2014 San Mateo Daily Journal
San Mateo County events