Friday
February
27
2015
9:22 pm
Weather

  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 
County tries to stop man from suing: Litigious ways for 20 years costs ‘enormous amount of resources’
May 26, 2014, 05:00 AM By Michelle Durand Daily Journal

San Mateo County is asking a judge to prohibit a Menlo Park man from continuing his litigious ways after filing dozens of “incoherent” lawsuits over two decades that the County Counsel’s Office says tie up the courts and keep attorneys from handling other work.

The County Counsel’s Office filed a petition seeking to have Harvey Blight deemed a “vexatious litigant” which would prohibit him from filing any new lawsuits without first getting San Mateo County Superior Court approval. To do so, a judge must find that Blight either began or maintained at least five lawsuits for at least two years without a trial or hearing; relitigates matters after a case has been decided; repeatedly files frivolous motions and requests; or has been previously declared vexatious by a court.

Blight more than meets the threshold, said County Counsel John Beiers.

“It’s at a point where a line has been crossed. An enormous amount of resources have been spent dealing with Mr. Blight over the decades,” Beiers said.

Within the last seven years, Blight has filed at least 10 lawsuits in state and federal courts that have either remained pending at least two years without a hearing or trial or that he didn’t win. He has relitigated issues after final judgment and, in one case, filed 16 documents after the Court of Appeals dismissed it including copies of correspondence to U.S. senators Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein, then-attorney general Jerry Brown and other notices. The judge finally blocked Blight from filing any further documents.

Beiers said his office’s action is “extraordinarily rare” and he can only recall one other similar petition in his 30 years. The challenge is not only the amount of lawsuits but the content, he said.

“Most of the time we can’t decipher what he’s seeking. They are often handwritten and incoherent,” Beiers said.

The suits keep county counsels from focusing on other tasks and prevents others from having their turn in the court, he said.

The petition cites several of Blight’s suits in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties and in the federal and state courts. Among them is a 2008 suit against the California Judicial Council and Commission on Judicial Performance over an unsuccessful earlier San Mateo County Superior Court case and petitions to administer the estates of two different men. In February 2012, he sued San Mateo County over an alleged $1,000 refund from property tax and trash collection fees. In January 2014, a judge dismissed the suit with prejudice. In February 2012, he also sued San Carlos Computer, Inc. and Hasan Farran, a case which has sat for two years without progress. He also filed a trespassing and defamation suit in October 2012 that was dismissed the following year. In September 2013, he sued San Mateo County and Action Towing but the case was dismissed.

Blights filings are “especially taxing because it is unclear as to what [he] is filing or what is he requesting (if anything), thus wasting significant time of the clerk, the judge and the opposing parties,” the petition stated.

Blight also filed numerous motions to challenge an inspection warrant and abatement warrant in 2012 and 2013 stemming from two unpermitted sheds on his Eleventh Avenue property which had been declared an unsafe public nuisance. When county employees came to the property last fall to remove the structures, Blight was reportedly verbally abusive and threw objects at the workers.

Blight could not be reached for comment.

A hearing is set for June 25.

michelle@smdailyjournal.com

(650) 344-5200 ext. 102

 

 

Tags: county, blight, mateo, lawsuits, years, court,


Other stories from today:

 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
What do you think of the new net neutrality rules imposed by the FCC on broadband providers?

Agree, Internet access should be governed like a utility
Don't agree, it will limit the free market
Worry about taxes
Worry it will prevent further access
It's too complicated

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Prominent Russian opposition figure Boris Nemtsov shot dead
MOSCOW — Boris Nemtsov, a charismatic former deputy prime minister turned Russian opposition leade..
San Mateo County resident with measles may have exposed Berkeley restaurant diners
Patrons of La Mediterranee restaurant in Berkeley may have been exposed to measles last Friday eveni..
Leonard Nimoy, famous as Mr. Spock, dies at 83
LOS ANGELES — Leonard Nimoy, the actor known and loved by generations of "Star Trek" fans as the p..
House clears way for short-term Homeland Security bill
WASHINGTON — Congress closed in Friday on approving a short-term funding bill for the Homeland Sec..
8 shot to death, including gunman, in Missouri rampage
TYRONE, Mo. — A gunman killed seven people and wounded an eighth person in an overnight house-to-h..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2015 San Mateo Daily Journal
Burlingame newspaper