Thursday
August
21
2014
3:12 am
Weather

  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 

Check out our archive of Dining Guides - Yum!

Burglar sentenced to three years probation, jail
May 10, 2014, 05:00 AM Daily Journal staff report

Alexander Dombrovic

A Chechnyan man who reportedly said “This has nothing to do with Boston” after being arrested for burglarizing a vehicle and assaulting the 13-year-old boy who tried stopping him was sentenced Friday to three years probation and will also serve one year in county jail.

Alexander Dombrovic, 22, of Palo Alto, pleaded no contest to felony charges of assault and auto burglary. Prosecutors sought a maximum of two years and eight months but the court capped the deal at two years. Dombrovic will also pay $3,000 in restitution for damages caused, according to District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe.

Sheriff’s deputies arrested Dombrovic April 21, 2013, in Portola Valley after a teen reported finding him rummaging though the family’s Range Rover which was parked in the driveway a little after 10 p.m. The boy allegedly went outside to investigate noise of a car pulling in and asked the man looking through his father’s car what he was doing.

Dombrovic allegedly yelled something incoherent and charged at the boy with an aluminum bat, swinging it tomahawk-style on his shoulder, before hopping into his own SUV and fleeing. The boy was bruised but otherwise uninjured.

Deputies in the area for other reasons responded to the call and saw Dombrovic driving on the wrong side of the road with his lights off, causing them to swerve.

Inside the vehicle, deputies reported finding 129 pieces of mail from 18 different victims and said five locked mailboxes in the area had been smashed open.

The officers reported Dombrovic making the comment about Boston, a reference to the widely publicized bombing at the Boston Marathon.

In December 2013, Dombrovic appeared in court on charges of robbery, assault, vandalism, burglary and reckless driving. He pleaded not guilty and asked for a court-appointed attorney. Bail was set at $50,000.

Dombrovic will begin his prison term June 21. During the sentencing Friday, Dombrovic addressed the court, while the parents of the victim presented a letter to the judge, according to Wagstaffe.

 

 

Tags: dombrovic, court, reported, years, deputies,


Other stories from today:

 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
Is it fair for the state to fine water wasters when broken and leaky pipes are losing billions of gallons?

Yes. Those are two different problems.
No. The state needs to gets its infrastructure in order first.
Yes but the pipes need fixing, too.
Would you expect anything else from government?

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
Bank of America reaches $17B settlement with U.S.
WASHINGTON — Bank of America has reached a record $17 billion settlement to resolve an investigati..
Obama: U.S. won’t stop confronting Islamic State
WASHINGTON — The United States stood firm Wednesday in its fight against Islamic State militants w..
South San Francisco to be fogged for West Nile Thursday night
Mosquitoes infected with West Nile virus have spread to South San Francisco and prompted San Mateo ..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2014 San Mateo Daily Journal
San Mateo County help wanted