Tuesday
September
02
2014
3:59 pm
Weather

  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 

Check out our archive of Dining Guides - Yum!

Fatal beating defendant takes plea deal: Man beat Belmont bar patron so badly he later died
April 25, 2014, 05:00 AM By Michelle Durand Daily Journal

Joseph Kaufman

The man accused of severely beating a fellow Belmont bar patron so badly he later died pleaded no contest Thursday to voluntary manslaughter and three counts of assault to avoid a murder trial and potential sentence beyond the 14-year plea deal.

Joseph Patrick Kaufman, 24, was scheduled to stand trial for second-degree murder next month and faced a 15-year-to-life term if convicted. Instead, the San Carlos man accepted the offer in the death of 48-year-old Barney Hanepen. Hanepen died May 2, a few days after being severely beaten outside the Lariat Tavern in Belmont on April 29, 2013.

“While this is extremely serious and sad for everybody involved, Mr. Kaufman feels very, very remorseful for his actions and it was never his intention to kill him,” defense attorney Jeff Jackson said.

Kaufman, 24, and Hanepen were drinking separately at the bar and, after it closed at 2:15 a.m., got into an argument outside although it’s unclear what exactly sparked the exchange, Jackson said.

The men and their respective companions were all drinking and Hanepen threw the first punch, according to one witness. Kaufman punched Hanepen in the face, pushing him to the ground and repeatedly kicking him in the head and torso until the man lost consciousness. Hanepen suffered broken vertebrae, fractures to his orbital bones, broken teeth and brain bleeding.

Afterward, Hanepen’s female friend departed the scene as did Kaufman and his friend, Jackson said.

“What jumped out at me is everybody leaves the scene and nobody reports anything,” Jackson said. “It wasn’t a lack of remorse but a lack of comprehension of how badly he was hurt.”

Police found Hanepen lying in the street and he remained hospitalized in critical condition until his death.

District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said the settlement was a compromise in light of some serious evidentiary issues on both sides, in large part because everybody involved was heavily intoxicated.

“It is a reasonable middle ground because both sides had issues and arguments to be made,” he said.

Kaufman will be formally sentenced May 23 and remains in custody without bail.

michelle@smdailyjournal.com

(650) 344-5200 ext. 102

 

 

Tags: hanepen, kaufman, jackson, everybody,


Other stories from today:

 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
How often do you go to San Francisco?

Five days a week, I work there
Every weekend
About once a month
Every few months
About once a year

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
PG&E fined $1.4B for deadly 2010 gas line blast
SAN FRANCISCO — California regulatory judges issued a $1.4 billion penalty on Tuesday against the ..
Video purports to show beheading of U.S. journalist
BEIRUT — An Internet video posted online Tuesday purported to show the beheading of U.S. journalis..
U.S. home prices rose at slower pace in July
WASHINGTON — U.S. home prices rose in July but at a slower rate compared with earlier this year. T..
U.S. manufacturing grows at fastest pace in 3½ years
WASHINGTON — U.S. manufacturing grew in August at the strongest pace in more than three years as f..
U.S. construction spending up 1.8 percent in July
WASHINGTON — U.S. construction spending staged a strong rebound in July, rising by the largest amo..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2014 San Mateo Daily Journal
Millbrae news