Tuesday
September
02
2014
9:37 pm
Weather

  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 

Check out our archive of Dining Guides - Yum!

Molestation charge dropped against child care assistant
April 10, 2014, 05:00 AM Daily Journal Staff Report

A judge dismissed a felony child molestation charge against an after-school child care aide accused of kissing and touching a 6-year-old girl inappropriately on the Horrall Elementary School campus and found after his arrest to reportedly have downloaded child pornography.

After a preliminary hearing Wednesday, Judge Marta Diaz found insufficient evidence to hold Eric Michael Renz, 21, of Millbrae, to answer on the molestation charge but did order him to trial on the child pornography count. Renz returns to court April 24 to enter a Superior Court plea and remains free from custody on $100,000 bail.

Defense attorney Chuck Smith has previously told the Daily Journal his client’s conduct was a case of affection but not molestation.

On Oct. 18, prosecutors said a school custodian looking out a classroom window at the Children’s Annex in San Mateo saw Renz sitting on a bench with his arm around the girl’s shoulder with his hand on her hip. Renz kissed the student twice, according to the custodian who reported the alleged incident to school administrators. He was immediately removed and police contacted.

A police search of Renz’s laptop computer reportedly turned up downloaded child pornography.

Renz denied the kissing and touching, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

Smith also said Renz did touch and kiss the child, who was very affectionate with him, but not in a sexual way.

If convicted, Renz faces up to three years in jail.

 

 

Tags: child, school, pornography, molestation, after,


Other stories from today:

 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
The CPUC decided to fine PG&E $1.4 billion for the 2010 San Bruno explosion and fire, with almost $1 billion going directly to the state's general fund. What do you think?

Totally agree with it
Agree, but think the entire fine should go to pipeline improvements
Think it should be more
Think it's too much
Disagree, but think the entire fine should go to pipeline improvements

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
PG&E fined $1.4B for deadly 2010 gas line blast
SAN FRANCISCO — California regulatory judges issued a $1.4 billion penalty on Tuesday against the ..
Video purports to show beheading of U.S. journalist
BEIRUT — An Internet video posted online Tuesday purported to show the beheading of U.S. journalis..
U.S. home prices rose at slower pace in July
WASHINGTON — U.S. home prices rose in July but at a slower rate compared with earlier this year. T..
U.S. manufacturing grows at fastest pace in 3½ years
WASHINGTON — U.S. manufacturing grew in August at the strongest pace in more than three years as f..
U.S. construction spending up 1.8 percent in July
WASHINGTON — U.S. construction spending staged a strong rebound in July, rising by the largest amo..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2014 San Mateo Daily Journal
Belmont news