The San Mateo County Civil Grand Jury is currently accepting applications for the upcoming term.
The grand jury acts as an independent watchdog over county and city governments by investigating subjects and publishing reports highlighting findings and making recommendation for improvement.
Applicants must be a county resident of more than one year who is a U.S. citizen, age 18 or older, of “ordinary intelligence, sound judgment and good character,” and have sufficient English language knowledge. Elected public officials are ineligible.
After applicant interviews, jurors will be chosen through a random draw.
Applications are being accepted through March 28 for the term July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2015.
The San Mateo County Association of Grand Jurors is also holding a series of six public information sessions throughout the county to let former members explain the process, time commitments and any other questions of potential applicants.
The sessions are:
• Tuesday, Feb. 11: 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., Serramonte Main Library Community Room, 40 Wembley Drive, Daly City;
• Thursday, Feb. 13: 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., Redwood Shores Branch Library, Room A, 399 Marine Parkway, Redwood City;
• Tuesday, Feb. 18: 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., Foster City Community Center, Port Room, 1000 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Foster City;
• Thursday, Feb. 20: 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., East Palo Alto City Council Chambers, 2415 University Ave.;
• Tuesday, Feb. 25: 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., San Mateo County Health Department, Suite 100A, 225 S. Cabrillo Highway, Half Moon Bay;
• Thursday, Feb. 27: 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., Veterans Memorial Recreation Center, Room 1, Crystal Springs Avenue at Oak Avenue, 251 City Park Way, San Bruno.
Applications are available by calling 261-5066, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or visiting www.sanmateocourt.org/court_divisions/grand_jury.