Thursday
January
29
2015
12:18 am
Weather

  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 
South San Francisco woman sentenced for crowbar beating
January 30, 2014, 05:00 AM By Michelle Durand Daily Journal

Joanna Ortiz

A 49-year-old South San Francisco woman who participated in a brutal 2008 crowbar attack that left a 78-year-old Daly City woman blinded likely faces six months in jail after a judge drastically reduced a four-year prison offer that had been on the table for the last two years.

A judge could still sentence Joann Rivera Ortiz to more than six months in jail at a March hearing but warned her she cannot withdraw the no contest plea to residential burglary.

“We were extremely disappointed in the resolution,” said District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe.

Ortiz is not accused of personally assaulting the victim in the case but prosecutors say she tried luring her away from home so accomplices could burglarize it. She was also tied to a Pacifica burglary the previous month.

In the assault case, Ortiz reportedly called the victim using a cellphone and said she was a Pan-American agent who needed to know if she would be home to receive a package around 3 p.m. Jan. 12, 2008. The suspicious woman called her children who instructed her not to answer the door if anybody knocked.

Accomplice Jose Perez-Gonzalez, 33, of South San Francisco went to the Serramonte neighborhood home and used a crowbar to pry open the house’s rear glass sliding door. After encountering the home owner, Perez-Gonzalez beat her in the head with the bar and fled through the front door, setting off the silent alarm, and in a getaway car driven by Juan Carlos Cuellar.

Daly City police responded to the alarm and found the semi-conscious victim and the crowbar inside the house. Police arrested Cellar at his Daly City home after being tipped by a person who claimed he had confessed. Perez-Gonzales fled to his native Mexico and remained at large until Mexican law enforcement officials apprehended him and then extradited him five months later.

Cuellar served two years in prison for residential burglary. Perez-Gonzalez received 11 years and eight months in prison after being convicted of attempted robbery, residential burglary, felony assault with a deadly weapon, felony elder abuse, residential burglary, possession of stolen property and mayhem.

Ortiz is out of custody on $50,000 bail bond.

michelle@smdailyjournal.com

(650) 344-5200 ext. 102

 

 

Tags: burglary, months, after, residential, ortiz, perez,


Other stories from today:

 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
Do you think electronic cigarettes should be prohibited in the same places cigarettes are?

Yes, we don't know the dangers
No, they are harmless to others
Maybe, but they're still safe
We should do what we can to encourage use since they're less harmfull than cigarettes
Who cares, they're lame

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
California declares electronic cigarettes a health threat
SACRAMENTO — California health officials on Wednesday declared electronic cigarettes a health thre..
Jordan ready to swap inmate for pilot held by Islamic State
AMMAN, Jordan — Jordan is willing to swap an Iraqi woman prisoner involved in deadly 2005 hotel bo..
Lebanese Hezbollah hits Israeli convoy, killing 2 soldiers
SHEAR YASHUV, Israel — Missiles fired by the Lebanese Hezbollah group struck an Israeli military c..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2015 San Mateo Daily Journal
San Mateo County name change notice