Wednesday
April
23
2014
12:14 am
Weather
  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 

Check out our archive of Dining Guides - Yum!

The pioneering of San Bruno
January 20, 2014, 05:00 AM By Darold Fredricks

Fred Beltramo
Fourteen-hundred citizens lived in the San Bruno area’s two miles at the incorporation celebration of 1914.

Every town has its unique history and San Bruno is no exception. The Spanish/Mexicans used the area of San Bruno for grazing cattle and horses from the mid-1700s until the Mission period in the mid-1800s.

Its unique geology with the hills to the west between the Pacific Ocean and the flat terrain along the San Francisco Bay made it a natural corral in which to let the cattle wander, eat and reproduce to produce more cattle. Jose Antonio Sanchez’s Mexican grant of Rancho Buri Buri in the 1830s defined the area a little more, but his attempt to put the Rancho on a sound economic base was cut short by his death in 1843. His heirs thought differently about raising cattle and proceeded to sell the land to speculators and the rising class of European-Americans who settle here. The geography of San Bruno 14 miles to the south of San Francisco’s Mission Dolores and 40 miles north of the Mission by San Jose did not encourage many settlers to stop and build homes until the American period in the 1840s. Only then was a roadhouse, the 14-Mile House (later named Uncle Tom’s Cabin) constructed along a deep creek that was a huge obstacle to travel. In the early 1860s, another roadhouse developed, the San Bruno House, along the San Bruno Toll Road (San Mateo Avenue) that was built in 1859. Richard Cunningham, the owner, also anticipated the construction of the latest form of rapid transit that was to be built down the Peninsula — the railroad. The San Bruno House attracted many sportsmen and visitors for weekend trap-shooting, horse races and relaxation, but the visitors did not stay to develop a community. By the end of the 1880s, another restaurant/hotel facility was erected — August Jenevein’s Junction House. Ten years later, the Tanforan race track was built north of these roadhouses. The founder of the Bank of California, Darius Ogden Mills, had by now acquired thousands of acres of the Rancho Buri Buri land and he built a great estate in the now Millbrae/Burlingame area. He developed a dairy farm (east of Mills-Peninsula Medica Center) and later rented land for the construction of San Francisco Internatioanl Airport. To the north of “San Bruno” land was utilized by the Sneath family and C. Silva for cattle and horse raising. A “core” area of San Bruno was yet to be developed.

The state of California didn’t have the money to build the roads in the 1800s so they issued permits for individuals to build roads and charge tolls for people to use them. The San Bruno Toll Road, which was later named the San Mateo Road, was one of these business enterprises built by businessmen of Redwood City. San Mateo Avenue became the second business avenue in the city, but it attracted few buildings until the 1920s.

San Bruno is a bedroom community. Businesses are essentially service businesses — grocery stores, drug stores, etc. that are small, personal and run by people who like small communities. The main story of the area as it is told through history deals with the people who settled here and the small businesses that developed to service this unique community.

El Camino Real bisected the terrain between the western hills and the water of the Bay, but this path played an important part in the development of the Peninsula. The Spanish and later the Mexicans used this dirt path exclusively for travel between San Francisco and San Jose, but after California’s admission to the Union in 1850, commercial interests and structures were attracted to it. By the early 1900s, when real estate developers began platting land into 25-foot lots for housing sites, San Bruno began developing as a rural community accessible to surrounding communities by El Camino Real, the railroad , the #40 Trolley Line, and the new machine on the scene, the automobile. The community’s response to the automobile was slow, only a few auto shops and gas stations, but eventually the businesses realized it was here to stay and began exploiting its appeal and usefulness. Spurred on by the Earthquake of 1906, more than 1,400 people moved onto the vacant landscape and, by 1914, the city was incorporated.

 

 

Tags: bruno, later, cattle, built, developed, community,


Other stories from today:

Stalker facing life in prison
San Mateo County police reports
Draper closes in on school’s final details: San Mateo to get progress report on downtown university campus
 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
What do you think of the Warriors' proposal to move to Mission Bay?

Smart, a better location
Still like the waterfront arena concept
Wish they would stay in Oakland
Anywhere in San Francisco is good
How about the Burlingame waterfront?

 

 
Tabbed Structure - Regular
 
 
 
 
 
 
Warriors formally announce plans for new arena in Mission Bay
The Golden State Warriors today formally announced their plans to build a new arena in San Francisco..
Biden: Russia must 'stop talking and start acting'
KIEV, Ukraine — U.S. Vice President Joe Biden warned Russia on Tuesday that "it's time to stop tal..
High court upholds Michigan affirmative action ban
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld Michigan's ban on using race as a factor in colle..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2014 San Mateo Daily Journal
San Mateo County high school sports