Wednesday
April
16
2014
11:46 pm
Weather
  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 

Check out our archive of Dining Guides - Yum!

City moves into post-fire mode
December 19, 2013, 05:00 AM Daily Journal Staff Report

Redwood City officials say they are prioritizing fire prevention and safety at the Sims Metal recycling center after the second fire in as many months Tuesday filled the air with smoke and raised questions about the repeat incident.

Fire Chief Jim Skinner met with Sims’ officials Wednesday about immediate actions that could be implemented to prevent future fires and the city directed Sims to immediately take extra fire prevention measures during investigation of the two-alarm blaze at 699 Seaport Blvd.

“This is the second fire in approximately five weeks,” Mayor Jeff Gee said in a prepared statement. “As a city, we are very concerned, and protecting our immediate and regional community is an absolute priority for the Redwood City team.”

The last fire was Nov. 10 and led to the Bay Area Air Quality Control Board last week issuing Sims a public nuisance citation. A similar citation is anticipated for Tuesday’s fire, according to city spokeswoman Sheri Costa-Batis.

The Dec. 17 fire was initially reported at 1 a.m. as a small explosion but fire crews raised the level to “structure fire.” The fire was under control by 7:30 a.m. and fully out by 10:15 a.m. There were no injuries but smoke and the smell of burning rubber was reported as far away as Morgan Hill.

Tuesday was the 10th consecutive Spare the Air Day and particulate matter was likely higher because of the fire.

After the Nov. 10 fire, Sims reportedly collaborated with regional authorities such as the BAAQCD, Regional Water Board and the San Mateo County Environmental Health Division to implement measures like reducing stockpile size, improving fire breaks and implementing infrared monitoring of stockpiles, according to Costa-Batis.

However, the city remains concerned because the two fires took place in a short span of time, she said.

 

 

Tags: regional,


Other stories you might enjoy:

San Mateo County police reports
San Mateo County’s $55M settlement would go into lead program
One killed, two injured in solo crash on I-280
 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
How confident are you about the state of the U.S. economy?

Extremely confident
Confident
Somewhat confident
Not confident at all

 

 
Tabbed Structure - Regular
 
 
 
 
 
 
Governor calls special session on rainy day fund
SACRAMENTO — Saying the state’s budget surplus should be used to pay down debt, Gov. Jerry Brown..
Ex-California city leader gets 12 years in prison
LOS ANGELES — The former city manager of Bell, Calif., has been ordered to make restitution of $8...
Combat vehicles in east Ukraine fly Russian flag
SLOVYANSK, Ukraine — A column of armored vehicles flying Russian flags drove into a Ukrainian city..
283 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
MOKPO, South Korea — A ferry carrying 462 people, mostly high school students on an overnight trip..
E.L. Doctorow to receive Library of Congress Prize
NEW YORK — Novelist E.L. Doctorow will be honored with the Library of Congress Prize for American ..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2014 San Mateo Daily Journal
San Mateo County help wanted