San Carlos garbage rates upped
San Carlos garbage service customers were set to see a monthly $2.66 increase beginning in March 2009 to cover the cost of collecting recycling residential food scraps and plant waste weekly, it was reported the week of Nov. 29, 2008.
The San Carlos City Council approved the new service and associated cost 3-2 at its meeting on Monday night of that week. Mayor Bob Grassilli and Councilman Matt Grocott both voted against starting the program at that time.
The biggest debate about the service was whether the city should begin the collection — a service already offered in other jurisdictions — or wait until the South Bayside Waste Management Authority began its new garbage contract. The agreement with Allied Waste expired in 2011 and the SBWMA was recommending its 12 member agencies agree to a new contract with Norcal Waste Systems of San Mateo.
led to mother’s death
A 22-year-old man stalked a woman through the Internet before holding her hostage and opening fire on her and police at a San Mateo home the week of Nov. 29, 2008, according to San Mateo police.
Raymond Gee, 22, of Oakland, allegedly staked out the home of 24-year-old Loan Kim Nguyen for weeks before entering it on Tuesday of that week. Once inside, he beat Nguyen and got into a shootout with police as the mother of two attempted to lower her two young children to safety. The spray of gunfire left Nguyen shot to death and Gee dead from a self inflicted gunshot to the head, said San Mateo Police Chief Susan Manheimer.
Gee connected with Nguyen at a high-end San Francisco club catering to Asian businessmen. She worked as a waitress there.
It is unclear if the two met online or at the bar first. However, police had evidence that Gee stalked Nguyen via the Internet for at least the last several weeks, Manheimer said.
Garbage deal may get probe
The week of Nov. 29, 2008, San Mateo County Supervisor Jerry Hill said the civil grand jury should investigate the way the agency overseeing the county’s garbage collection and recycling services handles its contractor selection process.
Hill sent the grand jury a request Nov. 7, 2008 asking it to determine whether the South Bay Waste Management Authority’s selection process was “conducted in a fair, transparent and unbiased manner.”
SBWMA previously tried quelling concern over integrity and transparency in its contract decisions by removing Executive Director Kevin McCarthy from the selection process and expanding the role of its executive committee.
considers booze cap
Trouble with drinkers causing trouble on city property led Belmont city officials to consider limiting the type of alcohol allowed at its facilities, according to the Parks and Recreation Department the week of Nov. 29, 2008.
The department was proposing to limit the alcohol consumption to wine, beer and champagne to reduce the amount of alcohol consumed in city facilities. Excessive alcohol consumption leads to more damage to city property, greater likelihood of confrontation and increased liability, according to a report issued that week to the Parks and Recreation Commission.
The facilities the city rents includes the Twin Pines Senior and Community Center, Belmont Sports Complex Conference Room, the Lodge and Cottage at Twin Pine Park and the Barrett Community Center.
From the archives highlights stories
originally printed five years ago this week. It appears in the Friday edition of the Daily Journal.