Friday
October
24
2014
4:53 pm
Weather

  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 

Check out our archive of Dining Guides - Yum!

Gas stolen from Second Harvest Food Bank trucks in San Carlos
November 15, 2013, 05:00 AM By Michelle Durand Daily Journal

Thieves caused more than $17,000 worth of losses to the Second Harvest Food Bank earlier this week by cutting gas lines at two loaded trucks outside the San Carlos center to steal about 90 gallons of fuel.

The gas is valued at more than $400 but the cost of towing and fixing the trucks plus hiring a security guard to watch over the Bing Center facility pushed the total loss to more than $17,000 — or the equivalent of more than 34,000 meals, officials with the nonprofit said.

“At a time when we are trying to raise $13.2 million and are in the middle of our biggest campaign, that is a setback,” said spokeswoman Caitlin Kerk.

The theft also stole precious time.

Trucks are in and out during this busy season so having two vehicles out of commission meant food wasn’t getting into the hands of those who need it, Kerk said.

The trucks were also already loaded with food so had to be emptied before towing which meant more time spent, Kerk said.

The food bank’s San Jose location has a fenced yard but the San Carlos site does not.

The food bank has had gas siphoned many years ago but nothing like this, Kerk said.

The crime hit food bank officials particularly hard because of the timing.

“Who would steal from the food bank, particularly as we head in to the holidays and so many people are depending on us for food?” asked CEO Kathy Jackson.

Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo counties provide food to more than 250,000 people each month which is equal to one in 10 individuals. The annual holiday food and fund drive raises nearly half the bank’s yearly revenue. The drive, which launched last month, is also seeking 2 million pounds of food.

Kerk said the fundraising so far is “a little slow going” but added it is early in the season yet. Because the recession is largely considered over, a lot of people forget that while they are doing well it is not the case for everybody.

“The need just continues to go up,” Kerk said.

Last year, the food bank distributed nearly 52 millions pounds of food with more than half being fresh produce.

Those wanting to help the food bank recover its loss and meet the ongoing need should visit www.SHFB. org or call 866-3663. Those needing food should call the Food Connection Hotline at (800) 984-3663.

michelle@smdailyjournal.com

(650) 344-5200 ext. 102

 

 

Tags: trucks, those, which, people,


Other stories from today:

 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
What is the most important issue facing the United States right now?

Ebola
Islamic State
Income gap
Russia/Ukraine
Immigration
Health care
The economy

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
Iraqi officials say IS militants used chlorine gas
BAGHDAD — Islamic State militants used chlorine gas during fighting with security forces and Shiit..
Ford profit falls in third quarter on truck costs
DEARBORN, Mich. — Ford's new aluminum-sided F-150 will be a lot lighter and more efficient when it..
Federal officials: Dallas nurse free of Ebola
WASHINGTON — The first nurse diagnosed with Ebola after treating an infected man at a Dallas hospi..
After 1st Ebola case in NYC, 3 others quarantined
NEW YORK — Officials tried to tamp down New Yorkers' fears Friday after a doctor was diagnosed wit..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2014 San Mateo Daily Journal
Redwood Shores news