Thursday
April
24
2014
1:29 pm
Weather
  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 

Check out our archive of Dining Guides - Yum!

Former San Francisco 49er Kwame Harris found guilty for DV fight
November 05, 2013, 05:00 AM By Michelle Durand Daily Journal

Kwame Harris

Jurors deliberated less than full day before convicting a former San Francisco 49er of misdemeanor domestic violence against his ex-boyfriend who was left with broken facial bones after a dispute last year over table manners and underwear at a Menlo Park Chinese food restaurant

Kwame Harris’ defense never disputed he threw punches but claimed it was self-defense.

The misdemeanor conviction splits the difference between the acquittal sought by defense attorneys who argued the victim Dimitri Geier started the physical altercation and the more serious felonies sought by a prosecution who asked jurors to consider who used the greater force.

Harris was charged with felony domestic violence and assault using force but prosecutor Brian Donnellan added the misdemeanor alternatives on Friday.

The jury deliberated about 35 minutes that afternoon without verdicts and returned Monday to continue weighing the evidence. Just after 2 p.m., the jury acquitted Harris of the felonies and found him guilty of misdemeanor counts of domestic violence, battery and simple assault, said District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe.

While his client was acquitted of the felony charge related to the most injury-inducing blow which the defense had painted as self-defense, attorney Alin Cintean said he had hoped for an acquittal on all counts.

“We were disappointed in the verdict. Very disappointed,” he said.

Cintean said they have yet to decide whether to appeal the verdict but set sentencing for Nov. 12. Harris, 31, faces up to a year in jail.

Cintean said jurors declined to speak after the verdict so he’s uncertain how they reached their conclusion.

Harris took the stand in the five-day trial but his accuser did not. Instead, jurors heard a transcript of Geier’s testimony from Harris’ preliminary hearing before the man became uncooperative with prosecutors and also dropped a civil lawsuit against his former boyfriend. Jurors also heard from a domestic violence expert about victim reactions like those of Geier.

But Wagstaffe said he understands how the jury may have been challenged to figure out what exactly happened.

“Any time you’re dealing with relationship violence it can be difficult to arrive at a conclusion at who is telling the truth, particularly when the victim refuses to testify,” he said.

At the time of the Aug. 12, 2012, incident, the men were no longer dating but maintained a friendship and Geier stayed with him while traveling here for business. That night, prior to Harris taking Geier to San Jose International Airport, the men dined at a two-person table at Su Hong To Go. Geier poured soy sauce into a container which angered Harris who questioned his lack of table manners, Donnellan said.

Harris suggested Geier find his own way to the airport and, as the two men went to his car to remove luggage, Donnellan said Harris accused Geier of wearing his underwear — a game Geier sometimes played although not that night — and tugged several times at his pants. Geier threw two punches which Harris met by punching him in the face, breaking orbital and cheekbones which required surgery and a metal plate, according to Donnellan.

Cintean said Harris swung twice to defend himself.

Harris left and Geier took a cab to the hospital en route to the airport. Menlo Park police arrested Harris early the next morning.

Harris is free on $75,000 bail.

michelle@smdailyjournal.com

(650) 344-5200 ext. 102

 

 

Tags: harris, geier, violence, defense, jurors, which,


Other stories from today:

NDNU student arrested for DUI rollover crash
Man wanted for South City rape
Commissioner proposes $17.5 million PG&E fine for late and misleading pipeline records
 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
Do you support a land swap between the city of San Carlos and the elementary school district so the Charter Learning Center could be built on North Crestview?

Yes
No
Not sure

 

 
Tabbed Structure - Regular
 
 
 
 
 
 
Paul McCartney to close Candlestick Park with farewell concert in August
Music legend Paul McCartney will perform the final concert at San Francisco's soon-to-be-demolished ..
FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
WASHINGTON — The federal government wants to ban sales of electronic cigarettes to minors and requ..
Man, 84, arrested for shooting at Daly City medical facility
Police in Daly City have arrested an 84-year-old man in connection with a shooting at a medical cent..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2014 San Mateo Daily Journal
San Mateo County politics