An unattended work lamp left on in the basement of a Belmont home lead to a house fire Thursday afternoon, according to the Belmont Fire Department.
At approximately 3:25 p.m., Belmont fire units responded to a reported structure fire on the 1800 block of Mezes Avenue. Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the basement area of the home. Belmont firefighters were assisted by firefighters from the San Mateo-Foster City Fire Department and the fire was extinguished within approximately 30 minutes. The fire was confined to a small portion of the basement and there were no injuries, according to the fire department.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, however, preliminary information indicates that the fire was accidental and appears to have been started by an unattended halogen work lamp that was left on and was too close to some clothing and other household objects in the basement, according to the fire department.