Health system gets revamp
San Mateo County’s health department and medical center were combined into one approximately $500 million health system and a search launched to fill the newly-created chief position the week of Aug. 23, 2008.
Rather than have the county’s public hospital and Health Department work independently, the goal was to have them come together with one goal under the umbrella of a single chief.
The revamped approach to care was an offshoot of ongoing work on the county’s health functions. Proponents believed combining the two areas will help balance revenue with expenses, narrow delivery disparities and prepare for future needs. The notion of a Chief of the Health System was spurred by the search to replace outgoing County Manager John Maltbie. Six months into the redesign initiative, participants realized a new structure was the best approach.
Garbage guys talk trash
Allied Waste, the Peninsula’s current garbage collection provider, said the week of Aug. 23, 2008 customers would be charged $54 million more than necessary by a 10-year contract with a competing company recommended for the next agreement.
South Bayside waste Management Authority announced its selection of Norcal Waste Systems as the collection services contractor once the contract with Allied ends in December 2010. Allied was previously passed over to continue operating the Shoreway Recycling and Disposal Center in San Carlos. The company hoped to win an extension of its current curbside collection service but again lost out with the selection of Norcal.
The selected Norcal proposal was $44.4 million annually while Allied turned in a proposal for $43.5 million per year. In a letter set to the 12 member agencies of SBWMA, Allied officials argue its proposal has more than $54 million in savings by extending the contract to 2020. Allied also said it would save $42 million by retrofitting the existing Shoreway transfer facility rather than completely demolishing the facility under the current $54 million plan suggested by SBWMA.
Court denies review of
former mayor's conviction
Former San Carlos mayor Mike King’s 2006 felony fraud conviction stood after a state court the week of Aug. 23, 2008 declined to reconsider an appellate court’s refusal to reverse the guilty finding.
In April 2006, after a two-week trial, a jury convicted King of defrauding what is now known as the Belmont-San Carlos Fire Department by submitting more than $13,000 in false invoices for political consultant Margaret “Peg” Collier’s alleged help finding firefighters jobs after Measure I, a parcel tax for salaries, failed. The financially limited campaign ended without the funds to repay Collier approximately $17,000 for fliers and postage. Paying campaign expenses with public money is against the law.
In February 2004, King faxed Collier what he said was simply a template of how to bill work he thought was completed. However, Collier testified she never helped firefighters find new jobs and King knew it.
Belmont city officials brought the allegations to authorities and a criminal grand jury indicted King in February 2006, just two months after finishing his final City Council term. He was sentenced to 45 days in jail.
From the archives highlights stories originally printed five years ago this week. It appears in the Friday edition of the Daily Journal.