Wednesday
September
03
2014
12:13 am
Weather

  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 

Check out our archive of Dining Guides - Yum!

Bowling alley to expand
July 22, 2013, 05:00 AM By Angela Swartz Daily Journal

Angela Swartz/Daily Journal San Franciscan Doc Young bowls at Brentwood Bowl on a Thursday night.

South San Francisco is one step closer to opening a larger bowling alley at the location of the now vacant Century Theater at 410 Noor Ave.

The Planning Commission voted unanimously Thursday evening to approve the planning application for the expansion and relocation of Brentwood Bowl to a 39-lane bowling alley from its current 16-lane one. The new center is slated to include a billiards/arcade area, 1,000-square-foot bar, 3,565-square-foot restaurant and 1,540 square feet of office/retail space.

This deviates from the trend in recent years of bowling alley closures along the Peninsula — including Serra Bowl in Daly City, which shut its doors last year. King’s Bowl in Millbrae was also shut down more than a decade ago to make room for a housing development.

The vote was a triumph for Brentwood Bowl’s owner, Millard Tong, and its general manager of 34 years, Roy Vanotten.

“Brentwood Bowl has been part of South San Francisco since 1951,” Vanotten said at Thursday’s Planning Commission meeting. “We have a past and I believe we have a wonderful future in South San Francisco. Generations of families have gone through the bowling center and they keep coming back. I would like to keep Brentwood Bowl an existing entity in South San Francisco.”

The commission approved the application with modified hours, changing the proposed applicant hours of operation from 6 a.m. to midnight. to 8 a.m. to midnight. This modification came from calls from a concerned police department.

Police Sgt. Scott Campbell said the changed hours had to do with making sure the police have maximum resources available.

Planning Commissioner Carlos Martin asked if they were thinking of bringing in more healthy options for food since bowling alleys have a reputation for greasy food.

“Try to take care and make this a beautiful place,” Martin said at the meeting. “Make sure the kids are safe.”

Tong assured Martin they have a chef who will be trying to do Asian fusion and other healthier options.

Planning Commissioner Mary Giusti brought up concerns about loitering and Tong said he plans to have more security, especially at night.

“I’m challenging you to get bowling alley there for next 100 years. I want you to succeed,” said Planning Commissioner Eugene Sim at the meeting. “Allow outside areas to have less loitering. You’re not just a box with a door that says come on in. Another reason of approaching it is beautiful restaurant ideas. Cut a slice of wall to see the beautiful venue of the restaurant. I don’t control the inside program at all, but I’m trying to make your project even better.”

The alley owners asked for the opportunity to come back in six months to engage the police department on hours of operation, as they want to push for the alley to open at 6 a.m. and the bar at 8 a.m.

The movie theater, located on the other side of El Camino Real from Brentwood Bowl’s current location, stopped operation in 2008 and has since been empty. The alley is owned by Syufy Enterprises.

Millard said he is aiming for the new alley to open in June or July of 2014.

angela@smdailyjournal.com

(650) 344-5200 ext. 105

 

 

Tags: alley, planning, bowling, brentwood, police, hours,


Other stories from today:

 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
The CPUC decided to fine PG&E $1.4 billion for the 2010 San Bruno explosion and fire, with almost $1 billion going directly to the state's general fund. What do you think?

Totally agree with it
Agree, but think the entire fine should go to pipeline improvements
Think it should be more
Think it's too much
Disagree, but think the entire fine should go to pipeline improvements

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
PG&E fined $1.4B for deadly 2010 gas line blast
SAN FRANCISCO — California regulatory judges issued a $1.4 billion penalty on Tuesday against the ..
Video purports to show beheading of U.S. journalist
BEIRUT — An Internet video posted online Tuesday purported to show the beheading of U.S. journalis..
U.S. home prices rose at slower pace in July
WASHINGTON — U.S. home prices rose in July but at a slower rate compared with earlier this year. T..
U.S. manufacturing grows at fastest pace in 3½ years
WASHINGTON — U.S. manufacturing grew in August at the strongest pace in more than three years as f..
U.S. construction spending up 1.8 percent in July
WASHINGTON — U.S. construction spending staged a strong rebound in July, rising by the largest amo..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2014 San Mateo Daily Journal
Woodside newspaper