San Francisco police are asking for the public’s help in tracking down who left hundreds of meatballs laced with rat poison in areas where dogs could find them.
The meatballs were found scattered in the city’s Twin Peaks and Diamond Heights neighborhoods last week and at least one dog was sickened.
Most of the meatballs were collected and disposed of by residents.
Police confirmed Tuesday that the meatballs were cooked with rat poison.
On Friday police spokesman Albie Esparza said one dog got sick and was taken to a veterinarian.
Veterinary neurologist Carrie Jurney, who treated the 7-year-old dachshund named Oskar, said his symptoms were consistent with strychnine poisoning. The dog was expected to recover.