Saturday
April
19
2014
10:46 pm
Weather
  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 

Check out our archive of Dining Guides - Yum!

Teen killer gets new sentencing hearing
May 23, 2013, 05:00 AM By Michelle Durand Daily Journal

Ricardo Garcia

A 22-year-old Redwood City man serving life without parole for killing a teen at a party five years ago will be resentenced based on a U.S. Supreme Court decision that such mandatory sentences for juveniles are unlawful.

The new hearing doesn’t ensure Ricardo Garcia will not again be given the life term but the sentencing judge must consider factors like his age, maturity and family life. Judge Robert Foiles had some discretion the first time but, in light of the court ruling, must articulate the grounds for his choice. He asked attorneys to submit legal briefs before a July 19 sentencing hearing.

District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said his office will consider whether to again push for life without parole.

“We will take a serious look at it,” he said.

Garcia, who was 17 at the time of the crime, was convicted of first-degree murder with a special gang allegation that made him parole ineligible for fatal shooting 19-year-old Solomone Zarate.

But the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in the 2012 case Miller v. Alabama that mandatory sentences of life without parole are unconstitutional for juveniles convicted of crimes even if they are tried as adults. The court had previously made an exception for murder.

At his sentencing, Garcia’s defense attorney Chuck Smith sought leniency, asking the judge to strike the gang allegation and instead impose 60 years to life. However, Judge Robert Foiles said that “with those five shots he condemned himself” to the more serious sentence.

Defense attorney Chuck Smith never disputed Garcia shot Zarate but argued it was self-defense more fitting of voluntary manslaughter.

During the 2010 trial, the prosecution contended Garcia jumped into a fight between his friend and Zarate outside a Sept. 13, 2008 party on Columbia Avenue because he wanted to prove he was the “biggest, baddest” member of the Fair Oaks Park sect of the Norteño gang.

Garcia testified as the sole defense witness that he believed Zarate had a gun because his hand was in his waistband. Zarate called out Heller Street, his alleged gang, and Garcia reportedly countered with his affiliation before shooting twice, then following and firing three more times.

Prosecutors called to the stand other partygoers and showed jurors a photograph taken at the party which showed Garcia with an arm extended toward Zarate and a written account of the encounter confiscated from Garcia’s juvenile hall cell while awaiting trial. The defense said the statement was a way to come clean, written for Bible study.

On top of the Supreme Court’s ruling, California law governing juveniles also changed.

Last year, the governor also signed a bill authored by state Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Mateo/San Francisco, that allows judges to reconsider life without parole sentences for juveniles after they serve at least 15 years in prison. A judge can then reduce the sentences to 25 years to life.

michelle@smdailyjournal.com

(650) 344-5200 ext. 102

 

 

Tags: garcia, zarate, defense, parole, judge, sentences, ricardo garcia


Other stories from today:

Postal worker to jail for mail theft
Market move gains steam: Mi Rancho would occupy long-vacant B Street dry cleaners
Council appointment coming to Millbrae
 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
What does the Easter bunny do when he visits your house?

Leave baskets for the kids
Hide eggs
Leave healthy treats
Hasn't been to my house in years

 

 
Tabbed Structure - Regular
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2014 San Mateo Daily Journal
Redwood Shores news