Friday
May
29
2015
9:34 pm
Weather

  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 
GM’s faulty-ignition fund taking victims’ claims
August 04, 2014, 05:00 AM The Associated Press

A fund set up by General Motors to pay for deaths and injuries caused by its vehicles with faulty ignitions is accepting claims.

The five-month filing period that began Friday is part of the fallout from General Motors’ recall of 2.6 million small cars beginning in February.

That recall forced General Motors Corp. to acknowledge it knew about the defective switches for more than a decade and triggered a sweeping safety review that has resulted in a series of additional recalls. About 29 GM vehicles have been recalled this year.

Drivers, passengers and pedestrians killed or hurt by one of the defective GM vehicles can file a claim through Dec. 31.

GM has already absorbed a $400 million charge to cover the potential payments to be made by the fund.

The bills could run even higher because the fund has no cap. The Detroit-based company advised investors last month that it might have to set aside an additional $200 million to compensate the victims of its blunders.

About 40 claims had been filed by late Friday night, said Camille Biros, a spokeswoman for the fund’s administrator, Kenneth Feinberg.

GM has traced 13 deaths to the defective switches, but some members of Congress investigating the problems peg the death toll at nearly 100 people.

The defective vehicles covered by the fund cover a range of GM vehicles, including the Chevrolet Cobalt and Saturn Ion. The ignition switches in those cars could suddenly slip from “run” to “accessory,” causing engines to stall. That caused the power steering to shut off, making cars harder to control and disabling air bags in crashes.

 

 

Tags: vehicles, defective, general, million, about, switches,


Other stories from today:

Don’t drink the water, says 4th-largest Ohio city
GM’s faulty-ignition fund taking victims’ claims
Not so golden: Wealth gap lasting into retirement
 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
Is taking Cuba of the U.S. terror list a good move?

Yes
No
We will see
Hope so
Shouldn't have taken this long

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sepp Blatter wins re-election as FIFA president
ZURICH — Sepp Blatter was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term on Friday, chosen to lead ..
Cuba removed from US terror list
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration on Friday formally removed Cuba from a U.S. terrorism blackl..
US economy shrank in winter but staging a spring rebound
WASHINGTON — The U.S. economy shrank at a 0.7 percent annual rate in the first three months of the..
Another round of rain brings more serious flooding in Texas
HOUSTON — Floodwaters submerged Texas highways and threatened more homes Friday after another roun..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2015 San Mateo Daily Journal
San Mateo County events