9:15 pm
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Opinion / Letters
  Arts / Entertainment
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  DJ Designers
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
Israel accepts Egyptian cease-fire plan
August 04, 2014, 05:00 AM The Associated Press

JERUSALEM — Israel and Hamas on Monday accepted an Egyptian cease-fire proposal meant to halt a monthlong war, signaling an end to the bloodiest round of fighting between the bitter enemies could finally be approaching.

The sides said a preliminary 72-hour truce was to begin at 8 a.m. (0500 GMT) Tuesday. Egypt was then set to host indirect talks to work out a long-term truce over the next three days.

A delegation of Palestinian officials from various factions, including Hamas, has been negotiating with Egypt in recent days. Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum said the group had accepted the plan.

“It’s clear now that the interest of all parties is to have a cease-fire,” said Bassam Salhi, a member of the Palestinian delegation. “It’s going to be tough negotiations because Israel has demands too.”

The war broke out on July 8 when Israel launched an air campaign in response to heavy rocket fire out of Hamas-controlled Gaza. Israel expanded the operation by sending in ground forces on July 17 in what it described as a mission to destroy a network of tunnels used by Hamas militants to stage attacks. The army said it is close to destroying the last of the tunnels.

Several previous cease-fires have collapsed, including a similar plan for a 72-hour truce that broke down last Friday in heavy fighting. Both sides blamed each other.

An Israeli official said Israel would respect the cease-fire, but that it was watching the negotiations “with a certain amount of skepticism” given the previous failures.

He spoke on condition of anonymity pending a formal announcement by the Israeli government.



Tags: israel, hamas, cease, truce,

Other stories from today:

U.S. airfares on the rise, outpacing inflation
Jim Brady dies: Reagan aide, gun control advocate
Israel accepts Egyptian cease-fire plan
Survivors dug out from China quake that killed 398

Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back

Daily Journal Quick Poll
How will your holiday shopping compare to last year?

Will do more of it
Will do a lot more of it
About the same
A little less
Not sure


San Mateo Community College District
Search for San Mateo homicide suspect ends in San Carlos
A search Saturday evening for a San Mateo homicide suspect inside a San Carlos medical clinic has en..
More >>  
©2015 San Mateo Daily Journal
San Mateo County blogs