Saturday
August
27
2016
7:12 pm
Weather
 
  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 
Grand Central entrance named after ex-first lady
July 01, 2014, 05:00 AM The Associated Press

NEW YORK — A newly renovated entrance to Grand Central Terminal has been dedicated to Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, who led the historic fight to save the terminal.

The entrance at Park Avenue and East 42nd Street was dedicated to the former first lady on Monday.

It’s now called the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Foyer. A large plaque features a bronze relief of Onassis and describes her role in saving the terminal.

Her efforts led to the U.S. Supreme Court upholding the city’s Landmark Law in 1978 and saving Grand Central from having a 53-story tower built atop it.

The Beaux-Arts train terminal opened in 1913.

 

 

Tags: terminal, onassis,


Other stories from today:

The six most memorable moments from the BET Awards
Amanda Bynes’ New York bong-tossing case dismissed
Grand Central entrance named after ex-first lady
 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  | 
<< Back
 
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
Would you welcome express lanes with a toll or carpool lanes on Highway 101 in San Mateo County?

Yes, they will help with traffic
Yes, but only carpool lanes
Only if the lanes are added and not taken away from current lanes
Not sure
No way

 

 
 
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2016 San Mateo Daily Journal
San Mateo County garage sales