Thursday
April
24
2014
12:42 am
Weather
  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 

Check out our archive of Dining Guides - Yum!

Attorney: Casey Kasem receiving adequate care
October 16, 2013, 05:00 AM The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — A judge said he did not see an urgent need to intervene in the affairs of Casey Kasem after a court-appointed attorney told him Tuesday the ailing radio host is receiving adequate medical care for advanced Parkinson’s disease.

Attorney Samuel Ingham told Judge Roy Paul that he had visited Kasem and did not see an immediate need for a conservatorship, However, Ingham said he still lacked information about Kasem’s doctors and treatments.

Kasem’s daughter Julie Kasem filed a petition last week for a temporary conservatorship, accusing her father’s wife of blocking her and two of her siblings from seeing their father and preventing them from making decisions about his medical care.

Under a conservatorship, someone would be placed in charge of Casey Kasem’s affairs and give regular updates to the judge.

Kasem continues to live at home with his wife and their adult daughter, but his three children from a previous marriage say they are being blocked from visiting him and having a say in his care.

Kasem, 81, gained fame with his radio music countdown shows, “American Top 40” and “Casey’s Top 40,” and was also the voice of Shaggy in the cartoon “Scooby Doo.”

Kasem has been checked out by police detectives and social services workers, said Marshall Grossman, an attorney for Kasem’s wife of 33 years, Jean.

Grossman urged Paul to reject Julie Kasem’s petition, saying the effort was detrimental to his client and the radio host.

A 2007 document that appointed Julie Kasem as an overseer of her father’s medical care had been superseded by 2011 estate planning documents, said Grossman, who filed the records in court on Tuesday.

Grossman called the new documents “bulletproof” and in a court filing wrote that the radio host’s intention was to receive medical care in his home.

In a sworn declaration, Jean Kasem wrote that the actions of her step-children, including press conferences, accusations she is holding her husband hostage, and the filing of the conservatorship case, have been a “living nightmare.” She wrote that her husband is bedridden and receives around-the-clock care from medical professionals.

“It is my sincere hope that Casey’s physical surroundings coupled with the attentiveness of the medical providers and the love of his own home and wife and child are comforting to him,” Jean Kasem wrote.

Paul refused to dismiss the case, noting that Ingham had requested additional information about medical care. The judge noted, however, that it did not appear that any court intervention was necessary to ensure Kasem was receiving proper care.

Paul appointed an independent doctor to review Kasem’s medical records and to meet with him then report back to the court before a Nov. 19 court hearing.

Attorneys for Julie Kasem supported the delay in the case for the medical evaluation and further investigation of her father’s estate planning documents. They declined further comment.

———

McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP

 

 

Tags: kasem, medical, kasem, court, radio, wrote,


Other stories from today:

Ten recommendations for Verdi’s 200th birthday
Taylor Swift talks next album, CMAs and Ed Sheeran
Attorney: Casey Kasem receiving adequate care
 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
Do you support a land swap between the city of San Carlos and the elementary school district so the Charter Learning Center could be built on North Crestview?

Yes
No
Not sure

 

 
Tabbed Structure - Regular
 
 
 
 
 
No shooter, no victim located at Daly City medical center
Daly City police have cleared a building where a possible shooting was reported this afternoon. Pol..
Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
CUPERTINO — Apple plans to buy back an additional $30 billion of its stock, raise its quarterly di..
Facebook 1Q results soar; CFO to step down
NEW YORK — Facebook’s earnings nearly tripled and revenue grew sharply in the first quarter, sur..
South Korea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher
JINDO, South Korea — As the 156th body was pulled from waters where the ferry Sewol sank a week ag..
Michigan man among first in U.S. to get 'bionic eye'
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — A degenerative eye disease slowly robbed Roger Pontz of his vision. Diagnose..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2014 San Mateo Daily Journal
San Mateo County order to show cause