Wednesday
April
23
2014
5:56 pm
Weather
  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  Classifieds
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 
 
 
 

Check out our archive of Dining Guides - Yum!

Arrest made in Highway 101 shooting
December 07, 2012, 05:00 AM By Bill Silverfarb Daily Journal


An 18-year-old East Palo Alto man was arrested yesterday for his part in a shooting on Highway 101 in Belmont Sept. 30 that sent three people to the hospital, one who was shot in the head.

Eric Valencia Vargas was arrested in Redwood City yesterday and is being charged with multiple felonies including attempted homicide, according to the Belmont Police Department.

He was taken into custody on the 700 block of Veterans Boulevard at about 1 p.m. in an operation that involved several local law enforcement agencies, according to police.

"This suspect is an extremely dangerous individual and we are pleased that he has been taken into custody,” said Belmont Police Chief Dan DeSmidt. "The positive outcome to this investigation is due to the professionalism and high degree of cooperation between all of the officers and agencies involved.”

The shooting originated in Belmont near the Ralston Avenue exit on Highway 101.

The incident started when the victims were traveling in a red Dodge Charger Sept. 30 on southbound Highway 101, south of the State Route 92 interchange, when the driver was struck by gunfire from a suspect in another vehicle, according to police.

The Charger was seen swerving on the highway before it crashed into a fence and landed in a drainage ditch between Ralston Avenue and Holly Street, according to police.

Police said at the time that the Charger was definitely targeted since no other vehicles were struck by gunfire. It is unclear whether the incident was related to road rage or if the suspect had any prior contacts with the victims.

At least one of the crash victims, a 24-year-old Menlo Park man, had been struck by gunfire in the head, first responders initially reported. A 19-year-old man from East Palo Alto was also struck by gunfire. A 23-year-old Santa Cruz woman was also in the Charger and taken to the hospital with minor injuries.


Bill Silverfarb can be reached by email: silverfarb@smdailyjournal.com or by phone: (650) 344-5200 ext. 106.

 

 

Tags: police, struck, belmont, charger, according, gunfire,


Other stories from today:

 

 
Print this Page Print this Page  |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
Return To Archives
 
  


 
 
 
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
What do you think of the Warriors' proposal to move to Mission Bay?

Smart, a better location
Still like the waterfront arena concept
Wish they would stay in Oakland
Anywhere in San Francisco is good
How about the Burlingame waterfront?

 

 
Tabbed Structure - Regular
 
 
 
 
 
 
Police stand down after alleged shooting at Daly City medical building
DALY CITY — Police officers have stood down after reports of shooting at a San Francisco Bay ..
Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
CUPERTINO — Apple plans to buy back an additional $30 billion of its stock, raise its quarterly di..
Facebook 1Q results soar; CFO to step down
NEW YORK — Facebook’s earnings nearly tripled and revenue grew sharply in the first quarter, sur..
South Korea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher
JINDO, South Korea — As the 156th body was pulled from waters where the ferry Sewol sank a week ag..
Michigan man among first in U.S. to get 'bionic eye'
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — A degenerative eye disease slowly robbed Roger Pontz of his vision. Diagnose..
More >>  
 
 
  
 
  
 
©2014 San Mateo Daily Journal
San Mateo County probate notices